How can I get my dog to stop sucking her paw?

My 3 yr old kelpie x female dog suck her paw and start gagging like she going to be sick. I had enough of her doing it.

My 3 yr old kelpie x female dog suck her paw and start gagging like she going to be sick. I had enough of her doing it....
    General Dog Discussions : How can I get my dog to stop sucking her paw?...

• How can I get my dog to stop sucking her paw?

How can I get my dog to stop sucking her paw? General Dog Discussions
      My 3 yr old kelpie x female dog suck her paw and start gagging like she going to be sick. I had enough of her doing it.

How can I get my dog to stop sucking her paw? General Dog Discussions
    • Well, I'm sorry she's inconveniencing you.......Something is probably wrong with her paw. Either it is too cold, or something is stuck in it. Check it out--if you cant figure out what it is, a vet trip is in order.

• Herding dogs have a tendency to develop a lot of compulsive behaviours like this. Often the answer is a drug that helps regulate their brain chemicals. You need to consult a vet for this, as you will need them to write a prescription, and help you determine which medication would be best. the over the counter things like Content-Um don't work on high drive dogs, because they just compensate for the stuff - nothing will change until it wears off, and then they're worse for a while. It's very frustrating. But your vet can help - and you can look up writings by Nicholas Dodman at Tufts, who has a lot of experience with this kind of problem.

• My dog does the same thing. Shes a husky. Its usually while shes resting, almost like shes sucking her thumb. Its really annoying cause sometimes she sometimes actually makes a sucking noise. Everytime i catch her doing it i just tell her stop and if she don't then i go take her foot out of her mouth. She doesn't do it much anymore but every now and then ill catch her do it. All i can really say is be constistant. Everytime you see her doing it go and correct her and say No or Stop.

• she might have a bindi or splinter stuck in it take a thourough look in it if you can't find anything there might be a skin irritation so try bathing her in a tea tree oil soultion my dog had a irritation on his tail 1 bath in that and it hasn't come back since that was a year ago

• Have ask you have u changed anything around the house? Cleaning products for your hard floors or carpet? Air freshners? She probably has allergies, my mixed female did the same thing yrs ago, It came down to the carpet freshner I used on the carpet.You also have to watch the plug in air freshners.. the oils in the air can also trigger allergies in animals and humans.Good Luck