Stray dog just had puppies and fleas?

I took a stray pregnant dog in so I could fatten her up and find her a new home. Yesterday she had her 8 puppies. I gave her a flea bath but didn't know if it was ok to put on flea medication. Now the puppies have fleas and i don't know how to get rid of…

I took a stray pregnant dog in so I could fatten her up and find her a new home. Yesterday she had her 8 puppies. I gave her a flea bath but didn't know if it was ok to put on flea medication. Now the puppies have fleas and i don't know how to get rid of…...
    General Dog Discussions : Stray dog just had puppies and fleas?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Stray dog just had puppies and fleas?

Stray dog just had puppies and fleas? General Dog Discussions
      I took a stray pregnant dog in so I could fatten her up and find her a new home. Yesterday she had her 8 puppies. I gave her a flea bath but didn't know if it was ok to put on flea medication. Now the puppies have fleas and i don't know how to get rid of them either? Help please!

Stray dog just had puppies and fleas? General Dog Discussions
    • DO NOT put any flea medication on her or the puppies!!! She shouldn't have had flea bath either, for that matter - it contains pesticides. You can wash HER in Dawn dish detergent - be very careful to rinse her forever - you don't want anyone to lick that. But the Dawn will remove the pesticide residue, and kill the remaining fleas on her. Call the vet - I suspect they will tell you to use diatomaceous earth, which is non-toxic dust - but you need to be very very careful not to get it in their eyes, or put it anyplace that will happen. All bedding will need to be washed in hot water, and some D-earth put underneath the fleece in the bottom of their whelping box, and on the floor outside the box. One of those light/sticky traps will also help, without being harmful to the puppies. But CHECK WITH THE VET BEFORE you do anything - the last thing you want to do is to get anything poisonous near the puppies or their mom, and the first thing should be getting the flea soap off her! There is NO topspot that is safe to use on a mother of newborn puppies - so don't put any on her!