How often do you have to get your dogs vaccinated for rabies?

I have called many vets and they say that rabies booster is every 3 years. My vet says every 2 years. Do they even have a 2 year vaccine or is my vet wrong and trying to take me for a ride?That's exactly what I thought! It's every 3 years. I just…

I have called many vets and they say that rabies booster is every 3 years. My vet says every 2 years. Do they even have a 2 year vaccine or is my vet wrong and trying to take me for a ride?That's exactly what I thought! It's every 3 years. I just…...
    General Dog Discussions : How often do you have to get your dogs vaccinated for rabies?...

• How often do you have to get your dogs vaccinated for rabies?

How often do you have to get your dogs vaccinated for rabies? General Dog Discussions
      I have called many vets and they say that rabies booster is every 3 years. My vet says every 2 years. Do they even have a 2 year vaccine or is my vet wrong and trying to take me for a ride?That's exactly what I thought! It's every 3 years. I just received a reminder that one of my dogs is due for her booster and it's been not quite 2 years ago.Thanks!!!!!!Just so there is no misunderstandings - Yes, I know rabies vaccinations is the LAW. My dogs are and always have been vaccinated against rabies and DHLPP. (which DHLPP is not manditory, by the way)My dogs are 5 years old, so age is not a factor as far as the first initial vaccinations.

How often do you have to get your dogs vaccinated for rabies? General Dog Discussions
    • It depends. There are 1 year vaccinations, and I've even heard of 5 year vaccinations, so I would not think that a 2 year vaccination is unusual, but you should be able to request a longer vaccination medication.

• It used to be every 2 years. I believe that changed a couple of years back. It is now 3 years. Your vet may still be using the other vaccine that is only good for 2 years. Mine were on that up until 2 1/2 years ago. They were then switched to the 3 year vaccine.

• your dog must be vaccinated for rabies once a year... i have never heard of a rabies vaccine that last lobger than 1 year... i would go to another vet... cheersmystic

• Your vet is trying to take you for a ride. Most states/counties/cities accept the booster as being good for 3 years, but some places still require you to get it every year (it is the same shot, either way)...So, since the other vets are saying 3 years, then your vet is trying to get you to over vaccinate your pet to fund his house, car, etc...I'd find a new vet!Add: Here is a good place to get info on what shots your dog actually needs...These are the guidelines issued to all VETS! Most just choose to ignore them...http://www.aahanet.org/About_aaha/About_Guidelines_Canine06.html

• 2 years is not necessary at all. The vaccine for Rabies is made to last AT LEAST 3 years and it is only required by law every 3 years. Get a new vet, yours is full of it.Edit: I am shocked that everybody is saying 1 year. The manufacturers of the vaccine have a guaranteed immunity for THREE YEARS! If you do it every year it puts a strain on the immune system and that's not healthy at all. Pets should only be immunized according to manufacturers directions. The only ones required annually are the bordetella, distemper, etc., rabies is only every 3 years.