How do you teach a dog to walk on the lead?

My dog walks on the lead and pulls so hard and chokes himself. I just want him to be normal and calm and walk beside me at my pace. All other dogs manage to do it! How do I teach him?

My dog walks on the lead and pulls so hard and chokes himself. I just want him to be normal and calm and walk beside me at my pace. All other dogs manage to do it! How do I teach him?...
    General Dog Discussions : How do you teach a dog to walk on the lead?...

• How do you teach a dog to walk on the lead?

How do you teach a dog to walk on the lead? General Dog Discussions
      My dog walks on the lead and pulls so hard and chokes himself. I just want him to be normal and calm and walk beside me at my pace. All other dogs manage to do it! How do I teach him?

How do you teach a dog to walk on the lead? General Dog Discussions
    • lol i have the same problem with my dog he is a doberman and he just drags me everywere. you could take your dog to dog training or you could try walking your dog around in your back or front yard until he gets that idea to listen. or you could get a short lead so your dog cant go anny were or choke himself. and maybe give your dog treats if he does stay next to you and that will help your dog learn.

• There are several things you can do. Be aware that it takes time, consistency, and patience. It will take a while before he learns, and he will only learn if you train him everytime he is on the leash. There are different methods, they can be mixed and altered according to what works with your dog, and what situation you're in. 1. Follow the treat: Take your favorite treats with you. Get his attention and hold the treat by your side, walk along with him sniffing at the treat. At first, give him a treat every few steps to keep his attention. Slowly prolong the time he spends walking beside you before giving him another one. 2. Stop and sit: When your dog starts pulling, call him back to you and make him sit in front of you. Don't walk to him, show him that he needs to come to where you are and pay attention. Praise him when he sits and then start walking again. When you first start training he will mostly likely start pulling again immediately, be patient and repeat the sit. 3. Turn around: When your dog starts pulling, like the moment he start to pull, just turn around and start walking in the other direction. Call to him, be nice about it. Show him that pulling will not let him get to where he's hurrying to, in fact he'll end up having to go in the other direction. Good luck. I repeat, time, consistency and patience is the key!

• First, if possible, play with the dog inside or in the yard without a leash to burn off some of that excitability. Then once they get a little tired put the dog on the leash and train it to sit (this may take a week or two depending on how "smart" and attentive your dog is. 15 minute lessons spread throughout the day are good. The important thing is to stay calm and get the dog to focus on you. Once you have trained it to sit it is easier to train to heel. Begin to walk the dog, if the dog gets distracted then stop and make the dog sit. Make the dog sit whenever you stop and the dog will learn to pay more attention to your actions than everything else (eventually they will do it automatically). Don't allow the dog to walk ahead of you, rather right beside you. When the dog starts to lose patience then end the session and play with the dog. Good Luck![EDIT] I forgot about treats. You can use treats, they can help keep the dog's attention, but some dogs get so excited that they are unable to sit still in which case treats are detrimental and should not be used. A calm but pleased voice and pat on the head is also a good reinforcement. Don't use an excessively high-pitched or excited voice because the dog will get too excited.

• Consider buying a 'Gentle Lead Head Collar'.Google images to see what it looks like.Heeling or leash manners is one of the hardest things to train on a dog that pulls. I once tried to train a Dalmatian (he is very strong) to heel but with little progress. On the day I used the head collar I was able to control him so easily that he heels every single time now. It was a miracle.You should be able to find it in any pet store.