what happens when a dog actually grabs onto a cat when on a chase?

What does the dog do when it actually captures a cat? Does it bite it, lick it, scratch it? Just really curious because it happens in so many movies and the dog never gets the cat and in real life every time a dog is near with a cat it will just bark at…

What does the dog do when it actually captures a cat? Does it bite it, lick it, scratch it? Just really curious because it happens in so many movies and the dog never gets the cat and in real life every time a dog is near with a cat it will just bark at…...
    General Dog Discussions : what happens when a dog actually grabs onto a cat when on a chase?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• what happens when a dog actually grabs onto a cat when on a chase?

what happens when a dog actually grabs onto a cat when on a chase? General Dog Discussions
      What does the dog do when it actually captures a cat? Does it bite it, lick it, scratch it? Just really curious because it happens in so many movies and the dog never gets the cat and in real life every time a dog is near with a cat it will just bark at it because there separated by a fence in most occasions.

what happens when a dog actually grabs onto a cat when on a chase? General Dog Discussions
    • Not nice, they shake it like a rag doll while biting hard into it. Usually this breaks the neck or spine resulting in death or paralysis. For this reason the cat will, if it can, defend itself as if its life depends upon it.

• When I was a kid our German Shepherd and one of our cats made a game of it. The dog would chase the cat until it was cornered, the cat would then swat the dog on the nose (no claws out) and the game would be over. They would just just stop and go about their day. They got along and even laid down and slept next to each other.

• My dog ran wild/feral for 4-5 months before I took him in. Part of his survival technique was to chase down smaller animals (cats included) and kill them; and then he ate them. This is all documented on the Indian Reservation that he came from and he was under a SHOOT ON SIGHT order as a result. The most common kill method is to grab a cat by the spine or neck and shake it vigorously until it's back breaks. I have 2 resident cats that this dog does have permission to chase when they mount the counters or tables in this residence. These days he simply gives either cat a bite on the bum and then holds the cat downs and grooms it's bottom aggressively. In return, the cat cleans the dogs ears for him. He has even nursed both cats back to health after they have had run ins with the local wildlife. However, if a strange cat were to enter my yard, I have no doubts whatsoever that this dog would do it serious harm.

• Unfortunately, when was very little and Molly was much younger, I witnessed her catch a cat.She shook it pretty violently but fortunately it lived and the owners learned the dangers of letting the cat roam. My dad also had a Dalmatian that caught a few before I was born.However, my old mini pinscher would chase but not bite. Same with one of my friends shiba inu mixes, he just barked.It depends on the dog and the level of prey drive. Luckily, our pit bull has not caught a cat but I have a bad feeling of what he would do if he did. So now that both of our dogs aren't fond of cats, I don't think we'll be getting any anytime soon.