If my dog has mites can my cats get them too?

And do they stay in carpets, blankets, etc.? I once read that dip, a way of killing mites, can be fatal. Are there any other safe methods? Oh, my puppy is about nine months old if age has anything to do with different methods.and its not ear mites....im…

And do they stay in carpets, blankets, etc.? I once read that dip, a way of killing mites, can be fatal. Are there any other safe methods? Oh, my puppy is about nine months old if age has anything to do with different methods.and its not ear mites....im…...
    General Dog Discussions : If my dog has mites can my cats get them too?...

• If my dog has mites can my cats get them too?

If my dog has mites can my cats get them too? General Dog Discussions
      And do they stay in carpets, blankets, etc.? I once read that dip, a way of killing mites, can be fatal. Are there any other safe methods? Oh, my puppy is about nine months old if age has anything to do with different methods.and its not ear mites....im not sure the name but its the kind that will go anywhere on the body, and they're impossible to see with the naked eye.

If my dog has mites can my cats get them too? General Dog Discussions
    • Ear mites are in the ears and only require drops to get rid of them. Cats and dogs pass them to each other when they have contact. Your pup is ok for the drops. I have used baby oil to get rid of them but it is not quick and it is messy. I used the oil in a rabbit's ears to clean them out before I got the drops. (live far from vet or store) By the time I got the drops Bunny's ears were clean. Mites must have a host and requires blood and will not survive in a carpet etc. Get them handled because mites cause secondary infections in the ear that need antibiotics. Mites can travel anywhere they want but they usually end up living in the ear. If you have mites on your dog's shoulder - you will find them in his ear. It looks like a dirty brown ear that needs to be cleaned. You cannot see them too well with a naked eye. There is a dog sampoo to get rid of the problem but pay attention to your pups ears.