Morph's vet x-ray'd & found a huge swollen prostate gland. Old man disease @10 yrs, what else waits?

Morph is about 10 years old and his oldman prostate was so swollen his large intestine was squeezed shut leaving his gut in a blocked and twisted bind. He may have had this condition for months. He is back from surgery after having his gonads snipped…

Morph's vet x-ray'd & found a huge swollen prostate gland. Old man disease @10 yrs, what else waits?

Morph is about 10 years old and his oldman prostate was so swollen his large intestine was squeezed shut leaving his gut in a blocked and twisted bind. He may have had this condition for months. He is back from surgery after having his gonads snipped…...
    General Dog Discussions : Morph's vet x-ray'd & found a huge swollen prostate gland. Old man disease @10 yrs, what else waits?...

• Morph's vet x-ray'd & found a huge swollen prostate gland. Old man disease @10 yrs, what else waits?

Morph's vet x-ray'd & found a huge swollen prostate gland. Old man disease @10 yrs, what else waits? General Dog Discussions
      Morph is about 10 years old and his oldman prostate was so swollen his large intestine was squeezed shut leaving his gut in a blocked and twisted bind. He may have had this condition for months. He is back from surgery after having his gonads snipped (no more testosterone to enlarge the prostate gland)He's not sure what to ask his vet & cannot use a keyboard so he asks me to post...What else should he discuss with his vet at his age? Any advise would help.Appreciative advice. Preventative, medicinal and very comforting. I may take up some of it myself.

Morph's vet x-ray'd & found a huge swollen prostate gland. Old man disease @10 yrs, what else waits? General Dog Discussions
    • This is one very good reason why male dogs should be neutered, even if there's no chance of unwanted pups. Not to be rude, I'm just saying that to warn others. You should probably watch his joints at this age to check for arthritis. Make sure he's on a heartworm preventative med. because heart worms are very difficult for a dog at this age.

• Ask about diet.As dogs (and people) age, they are less able to digest foods they once did. There might be something better that what he's eating. Or treats that are better.Ask about glucosamine and condroiten (incorrect spelling, sorry) supplements. Some vets like them, some don't.Also, ask if vitamins are a good idea.Ask about arthritis. Aging joints and muscles get sore, there are pain meds to help.Get advise on watching for sight and hearing loss and how to deal with that. It's really "no big" to the dog, but you have to make certain adjustments.Get advise about symptoms of dementia (confusion). Old pets can get confused and irritated, again, you'll need to adjust.Ask about "senior packages". Some vets are offering a year's vet care, including blood work, and other services at reduced costs.Consider a heated bed, raised food bowls for arthritis relief. Good luck to you.