My dog most likely will be put to sleep...?

My dog went to the vet today, and I was told that she has cancer, and a golf-ball size tumor.They said it is too late to perform any surgery, and will either bleed to death, or will need to be put to sleep.Of course, I don't want her to suffer, so I…

My dog most likely will be put to sleep...?

My dog went to the vet today, and I was told that she has cancer, and a golf-ball size tumor.They said it is too late to perform any surgery, and will either bleed to death, or will need to be put to sleep.Of course, I don't want her to suffer, so I…...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog most likely will be put to sleep...?...

• I lost a dog that was only six because all options for treatment were exhausted. It was very hard to do, but I knew it was the most humane thing. I'd want to be euthanized myself if I was in her state and in her amount of pain with no prognosis of anything but getting worse.I just cried after her heart stopped as I was holding her. Nothing can prepare you for the loss except to know that NOTHING can take away the love your pet showed you and the good memories. You might try hooking up with a site where people can support each other while facing this or having just lost a pet:http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htmI am so sorry for your having to go through this. I can tell you that with time that hole in your soul will fill up with warm memories but that won't help too much for now. After my dog passed, I talked to others, wrote a letter to her (which helped me) I had her cremated and I have her photo with photos of the dogs I still own that are with me now that she is gone.First I cried a lot between bouts of numbness. Then I heard my other dog bark (she was a pup and her "voice" changed the next day after my GSD was gone- it was high pitched and then she barked a deep bark) I thought it was my GSD! I went to look even. So there was some denial that she was actually gone.There was a lot of self questioning thinking maybe I failed to do something I could have and reviewing the facts that I couldn't. Anger that I couldn't. Some profound sadness.The writing and support helped me come to terms with her passing and finally I accepted that she had moved on. In deepest sympathy, just use these last few days to cuddle her and love her. You can't avoid grief, but you can pass through it.

• I wish you the strength and the courage to do what needs to be done. You are giving the greatest gift we can give our beloved pets...release from pain. It is a very selfless act, and I commend you for it. It's going to hurt, no getting around it. But time will help heal your pain even if it doesn't seem that way at first. Remember the good times you shared, and she will live in your heart forever. There is a poem about a Rainbow Bridge where our pets go to wait for us. Google it and it might help a little. We will hold you both in our prayers.

• I went through the same thing. It was hard for me, but it was in his best interest for him not to suffer. Surgery was offered but the survival rate was very low, so I made the choice to have him put out of his misery (something I didn't think I'd ever have the guts to do, but cancer often is unbeatable). After the diagnosis I took him home, we all slept on the floor with him. In the morning made him a special breakfast he even chased the ball a bit. We took him in that afternoon and all were in the room hugging him and telling him what a great gift he was to us, how much we loved him that we didn't want him to suffer for us. We told him it would be OK that it was time to go night, night. The vet clinic was very understanding, I was crying like a baby. That was just over a year ago, gosh how I miss him. I wrote a poem in his memory, I had him cremated and plan on our ashes being together someday. About a month later I found a puppy at the shelter that needed a home and she has eased the pain. When my first dog passed I cried for months it took another pup to get back with my life.Here's the poem, his name was Dillinger a German Shepherd Devoted FriendIn Our HeartsLoved, Loved, LovedLollipop ThiefIntelligentNonstop ProtectorGuardian of Our FamilyEnergetic Ball ChaserR Handsome Boy

• Awww, I'm so sorry, love. I do know how u feel. I've lost three pets that way and it's never easy. The first was my beautiful Russian Blue cat. I patted him one day and noticed that he had some lumps under his belly. I got worried and took him to the vet. Well, the vet told me he had inoperable cancer of the kidneys. His kidneys were three times the size they should have been and were already beginning to fail. We had him euthanized that day because I couldn't bear to see him suffer but that was a really hard thing to do. The young female cat we had left behind at home was really upset when we didn't come home with Blue and she looked for him and cried for days. It was too sad. I don't think she ever got over it, she was jittery and jumpy for the rest of her life.Then we had a female Rottweiler (Kruger) who had osteo-arthritis in her back and hips. When she finally couldn't get up off her bed when we called to her, I called for the RSPCA vet to come and take her away to be euthanized too. Between us we carried her out to the van and I cried when Kruger said goodbye to me with her eyes. Then when it came time for the little female cat to be put down I cried even more because she was my own special pet. I had no car and the vets was about a twenty minute walk away so I put her in the pet carrier and took her down to the vet. She had always hated going to the vets and she was never a vocal cat but she knew why I was taking her there. She was terrified and clung to me, crying her little heart out. I promised myself that I wouldn't cry in front of the vet, but when she said to me, "She knows". I burst into tears. She wasn't really ill, but she was old and we were about to move overseas and we couldn't take her with us. I'm crying now just thinking about it. This was like 8 years ago and I still miss her. I couldn't have another pet for a long time, but when my daughter begged me to get her a cat, I finally relented. We now have two beautiful tom cats and they both come to me for their meals and cuddles, but I still miss my little female. I guess I will for many years to come, she was like one of the family, all my pets were. I'm so sorry for ur loss, love, it's awful to lose a pet.

• I am so sorry for your loss, yes I have had to make the same choice before also. I hope you have family or some one close to share this experience with. I had my son and daughter and they were a great comfort as well as needing to be comforted. We cried alone and together and off and on for years. Depending on our mood at any time we are together reminiscing we sometimes still cry but the real sharp pain is gone. It is much like watching a tear jerk er on TV the tears just come and then we feel better. My daughter dealt with it by poring her heart into a poem and printing the poem and using it as a head stone of sorts. We were fortunate enough to have a place to bury her and can go back and visit the same as we do our people family we have lost. I have the poem in my computer and find myself reading the poem once in a while. I find I sometimes even laugh at some of the things in the poem that I didn't even see the first few times I read it.Everyone deals with pain and loss differently, I hope you don't let anyone try and stop you from grieving. You really need to go thru all the stages in some order. Yahoo "Elizabeth Kubler-Ross", she is the most commen sense person I have ever read on the subject of death and dying, she writes 'for people' but grief is grief and the stages are the same for any one who is in pain because of a loss. For me the loss of a pet has been harder than the loss of some people. My heart goes out to you, you will be on my mind for a while........

• So very sorry for you and your dog. I hope they're able to manage any pain she may have. Does she seem to be comfortable? That's the most important thing right now.I have to agree; a second opinion does sound like a good idea. But if this is still to happen on Friday, I do have some advice that may make a very sad situation a bit more bearable for all involved.If I may suggest - and if you are able - consider having a Vet or Vet Tech come to your home to perform the euthanasia. It will be much less stressful for you and for her if it can happen in familiar surroundings, in her most comfortable spot, instead of a strange and cold room (and imagine how difficult the drive to (and from) the Vet would be.)If that scenario can't happen and if it ends up taking place at the Vet's office, I hope you'll consider sitting with her and helping her through to "the other side", as it were.And if there are any other members of your family that can sit with you both, then that's an even bigger blessing. It's so tough, but I'm thinking that if she went through it alone, with strangers, it would be much tougher (in my opinion, anyway.) Look away or close your eyes, just be there for her if you can.Check with your Vet to see if they offer this service or if they can direct you to a mobile Vet.Bless both your hearts.

• My childhood best friend (my staffy x bull terrier) of 14 years was put down just over a year ago. She had a golf ball sized tumor on her leg - she was too old to be operated on - so when the tumor started to bleed my mum decided it was time to put her to sleep so she didnt suffer, I was 8 when we got her, I am now 22. Losing her was the most horrible day of my life. I didnt go to the vet to see her put down because I wasnt sure id be able to handle it, the last thing I remember of her was her walking off to the car with my mum wagging her tail.A couple of days later I had the strangest dream. I dremt I was my dog, at the vet, I remember looking at my mums sad face thru her eyes, and then they put me down, it was a horrible pain that was a combiunation of fear and heartache - it haunts me now and breaks my heart - i have never told anyone about my dream, I figured everyone would think I was crazy.4 months ago, I bought my own staffy x bull terrier and he has helped fill the void in my heart that my pepper had left. I still think about her every day. The vet sent us a card and it had this gorgeous poem in it. I am not a relegious person and dont care for heaven etc. But this touches my heart every time I read it.Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

• Yes we had a dog from the time I was 8 and am now 27 when I moved out at the age of 18 I took him with me well last year he had to be put down do to cancer and yeah it's hard but I learned that it's not the bad memory's it is all the good years with him just give him/her all you love now and be strong and show him that you do care and you will be OK I didn't think i would make it after 19 years of having my Jethro but I did and so will you GOD BLESS