I breed Bichons and want to give the dam a breather, is there a contraceptive for dogs and where can I buy it?

We have both male and female and they are household members. It is difficult to seperate during her heat and would be disturbing to both. They have been together since they were two & three months old. This is why neutering either is not an option at…

I breed Bichons and want to give the dam a breather, is there a contraceptive for dogs and where can I buy it?

We have both male and female and they are household members. It is difficult to seperate during her heat and would be disturbing to both. They have been together since they were two & three months old. This is why neutering either is not an option at…...
    General Dog Discussions : I breed Bichons and want to give the dam a breather, is there a contraceptive for dogs and where can I buy it?...

• I breed Bichons and want to give the dam a breather, is there a contraceptive for dogs and where can I buy it?

I breed Bichons and want to give the dam a breather, is there a contraceptive for dogs and where can I buy it? General Dog Discussions
      We have both male and female and they are household members. It is difficult to seperate during her heat and would be disturbing to both. They have been together since they were two & three months old. This is why neutering either is not an option at this time. When we want to stop or need to we will do the appropriate procedure.

I breed Bichons and want to give the dam a breather, is there a contraceptive for dogs and where can I buy it? General Dog Discussions
    • You really need to discuss this with your vet. There are contraceptives for dogs and he/she should have them available. I'd be cautious about buying anything the vet has not recommended. He/She knows your dogs best.One thought I might inject here--if these two cannot function as members of the household without each other, if something happens to one or the other, the remaining dog will be very hard put to survive it.I suggest you start working with each of them to go places without the other, be in the crate without the other, etc. Otherwise, you could lose both if you lose one.

• the last answer is very good and i agree very much...the only real option you have without separating the dogs, or nuetering is talking to your vet about what he can provide