What's the safest thing to do when approached by an angry dog?

This happens a lot when I'm walking my beagle. I don't know how to defend him or even if I should. Sometimes my dog seems excited about the other dog and other times his hackles go up. Should I assume he is a good judge of the other dog's behavior? …

What's the safest thing to do when approached by an angry dog?

This happens a lot when I'm walking my beagle. I don't know how to defend him or even if I should. Sometimes my dog seems excited about the other dog and other times his hackles go up. Should I assume he is a good judge of the other dog's behavior? …...
    General Dog Discussions : What's the safest thing to do when approached by an angry dog?...

• Be very still and do NOT get eye contact. Dogs seem to take that as a challenge. No sudden movements as that spooks dogs and you can be bitten. The dog will get bored with you after awhile and should go away.

• first thing is not to run! if u run your back is to the animal,its fun to him to chase u. whether its to bite u or not its still fun to him. then think of something to throw at him or just the actual throwing gesture and don't act afraid.

• first of all u have to noe the first signs of wen a dog is aggresive before u approach the dog ...its very simple if the dogs ears are fold back down agaisnt his head looks at u from the corner of his eye hair standing on end tail down and is kinda showing his teeth at u ...tat is bad news and step away from the dog.....never touch an animal before letting him smell u ...u never hold ur hand out to a dog to touch ether let the dog approach u and smell u ...if u noticed hes not being aggresive let him smell ur hand if not aggresive then u may touch him ...if he does become aggresive u have to stay calm ....dogs sense fear and only encourages them to attack fasters its same with the wild animals....if the dog doesnt go away make ur self look bigger but dont make noise ....if anything else if u have something with u bag with items in it....hit the dog sounds crazy but works hit the dog good and hard enough so tat he feels pain if u do tat it will give them the idea u mean buisness ...hope this helps :D

• First, don't look at him in the eye's. slowly back up and try to reach safety. If all else fails, run your a** off. If he makes contact, give him your arm to chew on with your inside arm facing you so he don't get arteries while you keep moving back wards, fighting him off by kicking him in the soft gut, manly hood and screaming for help at the same time. in a life or death bout...grab a hand full of throat and squeeze until he can't breath after you poke out his eye's. he'll let go at this point. This sounds cruel but we are talking about attacks right? and who should live most? you / dog? It's a no brainier but let's hope you never have to go there, God willing. This goes for female killer dogs as well. even the kicking below the belt thing.

• i have a huge German shepherd 150 pounds when i walk him he is sometimes off his lease when i see another dog coming towards us i put my dogs lease on him and allow him to sniff the other dog but i watch his reaction if i see him start to snarl his lip i pull back on the lease and tell him NO. if there is no other owner with the strange dog i would get in between the two dogs and walk away if the strange dog started to attack myself or my dog then and ONLY then would i use violence such as kicking at the dog where I'm from there is a lease law all dogs should be on a lease

• DO NOT RUN OR TURN AWAY....u and ur dog will be seen as pray if the dog is truly aggressive... also try to calm your beagle because his braying could cause an attack be calm watch the dog and take a confident step torward the dog... most dogs will turn on its heels.. or i will say GO HOME... but stand ur ground it may take a min.. if u know the owner of this dog i think u need to talk to them..if that don't work them call animal control as most cities has leash laws

• It's a tough call. Each situation can be different. All dogs are supposed to be restrained with a leash by their owners. It's the law. So in most instances, your pulling back on your dog's leash, and the other person pulling back on her dog's leash is all that's necessary. If they are growling and showing teeth, I would keep them separated. If they just seem curious and want to sniff each other out, then you and the other person might decide to let them slowly get closer to each other. Your dog is a good judge of what to expect. Remember that dogs are teritorial, so when you walk your dog away from your home, you might be walking him into another dogs territory, and the other dog will sometimes find reason to want to defend his turf. The consequence is a dog fight. But in most instances, both dogs are away from what they consider their turf, and unless they are naturally agressive dogs, they will most likely just be curious of each other and be intererested in sniffing each other out. If your dog is attacked by another dog, I would allow him to defend himself by releasing (dropping) your leash. I'd also walk with a walking stick or cane so that you can use it to beat the other dog if he attacks. Make sure you hit the right dog. Usually best to poke with your weapon rather than swing. That way it's easier to hit your intended target. But be sure to poke as hard as you can; if you don't, you won't achieve much. Also, if you see an opportunity to swing at the other dog, and your sure to hit the other dog instead of your own, then go for it. Dog fights can get pretty wild and viscious. So you have to be careful. Small dogs can be killed instantly by a larger dog. Just one big bite, and a small dog is dead. It's scary. And it happens. You need to be a good judge of people and animals and act wisely for the sake of your dog. Fortunately, a beagle is a medium sized dog that has a fighting chance. But against a naturally agressive dog such as a pit pull or other very large dogs, it can be very dangerous and possibly deadly. When I was a young boy, I had a beagle as a pet, and I loved him dearly. I'd rather do without a dog now. Can't stand the thought of losing him eventually. My recommendation is to know your walking area very well. Who lives there; whether they have dogs; whether the dogs run loose, whether they are friendly dogs, etc. Another option is going to a dog park. But I'd check it out first. Maybe take a trip there, and leave the dog in the car with the window cracked until you've had a chance to talk to people and see the dogs that are there, etc. Sometimes befriending people makes it easier for the dogs to befriend each other, and you kind of build on that until you get to know a lot of people and your dog gets to know their dogs. You know, taking it one step at a time rather than overwhelming the dog with tons new people and new dogs all at once. One last piece of advice. While you are checking people and their dogs out at the dog park or elsewhere, try to avoid the people who look like they could be violent predators and have dogs that are known to be agressive. Not only do you want to protect your dog from danger; you also want to protect yourself from danger. Just as surely as there are mean dogs out there, there are also mean people out there. Good luck.

• He may seem exited by dogs that do not appear threatening, as in too large. Size up the situation and the dog you are facing. Some dogs you can look in the eye and claim mastery and some you had better not, unless you want to fight. You need to learn dog body language. SPCA is good for this, but do not accept general instructions, learn to think for your self in these situations. You have been given a good bit of advice, mostly good and from experience. One point; DO NOT EVER PICK UP A DOG THE SIZE OF A BEAGLE. The other dog may interpret that as a " pass " to attack your dog, as he may think you are attacking your dog. Beagles are too big to shield away with your body. Though, if it is a child to pick up, the advice is ambiguous.

• Wow I am a amazed at some of the really bad answers given to this question.You should never run!You should never look an angry dog in his eyes!You should remain calm and still. Turn slightly away from the dog. Yawn. This shows the dog that you are not a threat. Dogs yawn when they are calming themselves down and will do this to show the other dog they aren't a threat. Dogs will also show they are not a threat to each other by appearing to be disinterested in the aggresive dog. Slowly back away from the dog.Yelling at the dog could make him more angry.It is good to carry a large stick with you or even pepper spray to protect yourself and your dog. Don't use either unless the dog is actually charging you or attacking you.The key is prevention. Most dog attacks and bites can be prevented if the correct body language is used.You all need to learn about dog behavior. Buy a book. Amazon.com has hundreds of great inexpensive books. If you own a dog you owe it to him to learn his language.http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/dog_care/stay_dog_bite_free/http://www.town.arlington.ma.us/Public_Documents/F00016D44/S00396C0E

• Dont apporach the dog, they're dangerous, dont let ur dog go up to him either. He or you might get bite and it will hurt really bad cuz or u might get rabies....tell the owner to tie up the dog or something. The dog is proably excited to see another dog that is smaller than him and he proably thinks he can take him on lol.But it kinda has to do with ur smell also. If ur not his owner, he will bark and get dangerous because the dog reconizes his owners smell. Or just give him food, throw it to him, not actually go up to him and give it to him. Throw him some food and he will be okay.

• call your animal control. Or police officer. Pronto. Someone could get hurt. I had to call the police because a guy kept leaving his rotti in the back of his pick up while he went into walmart. unleashed! they traced his lisence plate # and presto no more problems.

• Lower your eyes if you feel threatened this is submission and the dog should back away,with a dog with you allow it to sniff the other, if you pull back and become agitated the angry dog will sense this and simply react to dominate , that is attack any threat YOU and YOUR DOG.Your dog will also become threatening too and bark at the other dog.Always lower your eyes and look away from any dog when you first meet, this is really good advice for kids, NEVER approach any dog without its consent, NEVER smile at a dog, it is a threat. also it may help to carry some aniseed balls with you and give the dog one, they love them and will usually roll over and wanna bonk your leg two seconds after its hackles are up !www.eurobichons.com

• don't show that you are afraid. just keep walking and ignore the dog or carry pepper spray so if it trys to bite you spray a little on its nose it shouldn't harm it just ocupie it long enough so you can get away