Alaria in kitten? What is Alaria?

My vet found Alaria in my kittens stool sample. He is prescribing medicine & a shot to clear it up. I haven't been able to find any relevant info on Alaria though. It seems that people can get it through eating contaminated frog legs but I am uncertain…

My vet found Alaria in my kittens stool sample. He is prescribing medicine & a shot to clear it up. I haven't been able to find any relevant info on Alaria though. It seems that people can get it through eating contaminated frog legs but I am uncertain…...
    General Dog Discussions : Alaria in kitten? What is Alaria?...

• Alaria in kitten? What is Alaria?

Alaria in kitten? What is Alaria? General Dog Discussions
      My vet found Alaria in my kittens stool sample. He is prescribing medicine & a shot to clear it up. I haven't been able to find any relevant info on Alaria though. It seems that people can get it through eating contaminated frog legs but I am uncertain how this parasite effects a kitten? Anyone have any info? What is it caused by? What does it do? Is it it serious/potentially fatal? etc. Thank you!

Alaria in kitten? What is Alaria? General Dog Discussions
    • Here is what I was able to find I hope that is helps! Alaria spp. adults develop in the small intestine and are not usually associated with intestinal illness. However, migration of immature Alaria through the lungs may result in pulmonary hemorrhage and subsequent respiratory compromise. Alaria spp. infections are acquired by dogs and cats via ingestion of a wide variety of intermediate or paratenic hosts (particularly frogs and snakes) that harbor immature flukes,.