In Ontario what is the law about taking your dog to the vet?

I know you have to license your dog every year, but what about taking it to the vet? I was reading some stuff online about how getting your pet vaccinated every year can do more harm than good. What is the law? All i found was the in ontario a dog must…

I know you have to license your dog every year, but what about taking it to the vet? I was reading some stuff online about how getting your pet vaccinated every year can do more harm than good. What is the law? All i found was the in ontario a dog must…...
    General Dog Discussions : In Ontario what is the law about taking your dog to the vet?...

• In Ontario what is the law about taking your dog to the vet?

In Ontario what is the law about taking your dog to the vet? General Dog Discussions
      I know you have to license your dog every year, but what about taking it to the vet? I was reading some stuff online about how getting your pet vaccinated every year can do more harm than good. What is the law? All i found was the in ontario a dog must have his rabie shot, but it doesn't say how often.Thanks!

In Ontario what is the law about taking your dog to the vet? General Dog Discussions
    • You can get a 3-year rabies shot in Ontario. Ask your vet.All other shots are optional.I personally have my adult dogs vaccinated every three years for common harmful diseases - your vet will be able to advise you on which ones are a problem in your area. I do not vaccinate my dogs over 10 years old.If your vet freaks out over not vaccinating annually, find a new one that's more enlightened.EDIT: I do, however, recommend an annual checkup.

• A rabies vaccination is either a 1-year or 3-year shot, depending on which was given to your dog. It should say on your certificate when you dog needs to be re-vaccinated.Now a word about "vaccinations are bad" - please, take what you read on-line with a LARGE chunk of salt. Yes, I agree that we over-vaccinate our pets, and that's why my dog gets his shots every 3 years, with the approval of my vet, even though that is "off label" for the distemper series.I too have read a lot about vaccinations, and the commentaries are strewn with comments like "no vaccine has ever saved a life", and "if a dog is healthy enough, it can overcome any disease". Um, yeah - that's why polio is eradicated in developed countries, parvo and distemper are no greatly reduced in vaccinated pets, etc. etc. etc.Please please please - do a LOT or research on this, and don't take someone's word as gospel, simply because they don't vaccinate and have never had a problem.