What can you tell me about fatty tumors on dogs?

My dog is 15 years old and she has two fatty tumors on both her sides. Because of her age the vet recommends we not have them removed. He says she isn't in pain. I wonder how long is it ok to allow them? They are about the size of a small canteloupe. …

My dog is 15 years old and she has two fatty tumors on both her sides. Because of her age the vet recommends we not have them removed. He says she isn't in pain. I wonder how long is it ok to allow them? They are about the size of a small canteloupe. …...
    Other Pet Discussions : What can you tell me about fatty tumors on dogs?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What can you tell me about fatty tumors on dogs?

What can you tell me about fatty tumors on dogs? Other Pet Discussions
      My dog is 15 years old and she has two fatty tumors on both her sides. Because of her age the vet recommends we not have them removed. He says she isn't in pain. I wonder how long is it ok to allow them? They are about the size of a small canteloupe. Is this something that she should be put down for? Is she suffering?

What can you tell me about fatty tumors on dogs? Other Pet Discussions
    • They are very common. I have a Lab that has five all in the chest area. My vet checked them and said unless they change not to worry. It is now just part of his regular check up. His largest one is about the size of a golf ball. Your dog is old and it may be more strenuous for her to have them removed than just leave it. Always take your vets advice over the people here.My vet has also said they are not causing pain.

• Hi...They are very common. They are called lypomas. Unless they are causing problems they usually don't recomend removing them on older dogs. My 12 year old dalmatian had one on his throat that had to be removed because it grew and made his trachea (SP) S shaped and he couldn't swallow and would choke on even water. It was very expensive. So it they are not causing any problems, leave them alone.

• Fatty tumors don't cause pain unless they are in an uncomfortable position. For example...near the armpit where it would be causing discomfort when walking. As long as they don't seem to be bothering her you don't need to worry about it. They're just cosmetic.