The vet suggested that I add fatty acid supplements to my dog's diet due to sensitive skin.?

While he is getting a great amount with his Nutro Ultra, she said that he has a skin infection. He is a wirehaired dachshund. Can I get these fatty acid supplements at Walmart or the drug store? Or do I need to go to Petsmart. Also they kept saying I…

The vet suggested that I add fatty acid supplements to my dog's diet due to sensitive skin.?

While he is getting a great amount with his Nutro Ultra, she said that he has a skin infection. He is a wirehaired dachshund. Can I get these fatty acid supplements at Walmart or the drug store? Or do I need to go to Petsmart. Also they kept saying I…...
    Other Pet Discussions : The vet suggested that I add fatty acid supplements to my dog's diet due to sensitive skin.?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The vet suggested that I add fatty acid supplements to my dog's diet due to sensitive skin.?

The vet suggested that I add fatty acid supplements to my dog's diet due to sensitive skin.? Other Pet Discussions
      While he is getting a great amount with his Nutro Ultra, she said that he has a skin infection. He is a wirehaired dachshund. Can I get these fatty acid supplements at Walmart or the drug store? Or do I need to go to Petsmart. Also they kept saying I needed to get Pyoben shampoo through them, can I get it without a prescription?

The vet suggested that I add fatty acid supplements to my dog's diet due to sensitive skin.? Other Pet Discussions
    • You can look for something like flaxseed, flaxseed oil, and fish oils. These are great sources of your fatty acids.One other thing to remember, is that most dog food companies put the supplements in their food before cooking- just like when we cook our vegetables, this degrades the quality of the nutrients. So, just because your dog food claims to have a large amount of nutrients, they have been degraded during the heating process. Eagle pack is the only company I know for a fact puts the supplements on AFTER the cooking and cooling process. There may be more out there, I just don't know about them.

• I give my dog fish oil tablets twice daily with her food. You can get them at Petco, PetsMart and most of the larger pet stores. They really help her skin, you see the results in a couple of weeks.

• vets are funny. have you noticed how many people say they spend hundreds at a vets because of skin problems but the vets neglect to tell them how bad the wheat is that's in most commercial dog foods? i know Nutro's a good high-end food. i had a dog that needed perscription diet and it was hundreds of $ later that i thought to check and compare ingredients. the type of food they were giving her matched Iams weight for quality and amounts. i give my malamute x omega 3 (wal-mart) and if you can find out what's in the shampoo you MAY find something comparable at Petsmart

• i have a two wirehaired the vet said to give them fishoil capsuls gut they dont like them so i give them fish twice a week. you can get the oil capsuls at walmart.petsco has shampoo for sensitive skin.

• quote"vets are funny. have you noticed how many people say they spend hundreds at a vets because of skin problems but the vets neglect to tell them how bad the wheat is that's in most commercial dog foods"It would be nice if all dogs were allergic to the same thing, but unfortunately that isn't the case.There is nothing wrong with some wheat in the dogs food so long as the dog doesn't have an allergic reaction to it.Believe it or not just about as many dogs will have an allergic reaction to brown rice, which is a high end ingredient.It is always a good idea to look at the ingredients in the food you are using and one ingredient at a time see if you can find the source of the problem by trying other foods/formulas.For the most part I only bathe my dogs with plain water, especially if they have a dry skin condition which is common when the blow their coat when it turns hot out.For some reason my dogs didn't do well on plain fish oil, but do just fine with flax.

• There's a good supplement for skin issues called Missing Link... it has fatty acids and other essential nutrients. It's a powder you sprinkle on your dog's food that you can buy at the pet store or at an online pet supply site. Here's one that has a good price on it:http://www.petnutritionproducts.comYou can also use flaxseed oil, which you can buy at any health food store. Buy it from the refrigerated section only, not off the shelf, since it has to stay cold to keep from going rancid.

• research pyoben before you use it. yes, it is prescription only. it is an antimicrobial. i won't contradict your vet, but i personally wouldn't use it. i used an antimicrobial on my dog and it complicated his problem (which was undiagnosed MRSA) before you treat your dog with this shampoo, maybe you should have a skin culture done. make sure the vet tells you what kind of skin infection your dog has. if she says it's 'idiopathic', make her be more specific, which she probably can't do without a skin culture. please question everything your vet tells you. my dog nearly died from undiagnosed MRSA. (see my profile or email me ) for more information.