What is a good low protein dry dog food?

I have a 3year old German Shepherd Black Lab and my vet has suggested a low protein diet. He said any food under 18% Crude Protein. The only one that I can find is Hannafords Smart Option Brand but not really sure if this is a good idea...any other…

I have a 3year old German Shepherd Black Lab and my vet has suggested a low protein diet. He said any food under 18% Crude Protein. The only one that I can find is Hannafords Smart Option Brand but not really sure if this is a good idea...any other…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What is a good low protein dry dog food?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is a good low protein dry dog food?

What is a good low protein dry dog food? Other Pet Discussions
      I have a 3year old German Shepherd Black Lab and my vet has suggested a low protein diet. He said any food under 18% Crude Protein. The only one that I can find is Hannafords Smart Option Brand but not really sure if this is a good idea...any other suggestions that won't break my check?

What is a good low protein dry dog food? Other Pet Discussions
    • hi there ... my dog also requires a low protein diet but she went from 40% protein to 28% protein and that was the lowest protein percentage i could find where i live that was a quality food ... the lower protein diet has helped my dog ... i have also been informed by a doggie nutritionist that some raw diets are as low as 19% but raw diets can be expensive to buy and time consuming to put together yourself though a cheaper option this way ... the Hannaford brand you mentioned, i could not find the ingredient list but it was one of the brands in the dog food recall ... which means it is made in a plant where many other brands are made which is not always a good thing ... if the Hannaford has ingredients like corn or rendered meats it is probably not the way to go ... Hannaford is also considered a grocery store food and those should almost always be avoided ...

• look up the website for this company:Hi-Tor pet foodsthey make special diet foods and you can buy it/order it through a local pet store.i had a dog that needed gastro-diet, for a very sensitive stomach.the Hi-Tor food is available in canned or dry,and make special diets for cats and dogs too(kidney problems, heart problems,sensitive stomach/bowel)

• Protein is essential to a dog’s diet. It is necessary for its growth and development and more importantly, in its structural makeup and immune system. As dogs are generally energetic and athletic, they burn calories gained from protein and convert these enzymes into fat. The building blocks that make up proteins, amino acids, are either consumed or synthesized. A deficiency in these amino acids may cause severe health side effects. Levels of protein vary; however, protein itself is vital to a dog’s bodily function as it maintains the structure of skin and ligaments, needed for the production of new tissues, maintains metabolic processes and is a necessary nutrient for the repair of tissues. Low protein dog food may be necessary in a dog’s diet if it is suffering from urinary tract infection, urinary stones, early kidney disease or chronic renal failure.In a dog’s diet, a higher percentage or consumption of protein does not mean it is better than other brands of food. If the food comes from a good source (real chicken or real lamb meat), then the protein is beneficial to the dog’s diet. It is pivotal to evaluate the source of the protein in dog food and not just the amount when comparing and contrasting pet foods. Optimal protein levels for different life stages and activity levels vary greatly for dogs. Senior dogs, due to weaker kidneys, generally require less protein than active adults. However, the newest research shows it is not the proteins that cause damage to kidneys in dogs as much as it is the phosphorus contained in the protein.Low protein dog food contains a variety of different levels of amino acids and each protein has a varying ability to break down into amino acids. Egg, for example, contains high protein followed by fish and milk and beef. For a puppy, 28% of dietary intake should be protein while for an adult dog, 18%. The ideal diet for a dog with kidney or urinary health-related problems is one of high quality, low level protein. A diet which is high in complex carbohydrates containing ingredients such as whole grains, fruits, and low purine vegetables may help rid the body of extra uric acid. A diet with low protein, coupled with low fat, phosphorus, salt and purines are able to assist the body in metabolising the uric acid in the body.While high protein intake is not much harm as it is converted to calories or into fat, a dog with a kidney problem may suffer from high protein diets. Low protein diets are usually low in nitrogen. These proteins are more digestible and therefore produce less nitrogen by products. Dogs with weak or damaged kidneys may not be able to handle diets with normal protein content and thus low protein dog food allows the body to handle excess protein and nitrogen more efficiently. In dogs with poor or damaged kidneys, a low protein diet can prevent the nitrogen content being too high in the bloodstream which may cause harm to other body tissues. Unless your dog has a kidney problem, adjusting the protein intake is not necessary. It is important to note that feeding a normal dog a low-protein diet is not ideal either.High protein dog diets have been linked to aggressive behaviour. Lower protein dog food tends to offer better nutrition, palatability and digestibility. A healthy nutrition can also mean less medical bills. Ensuring your dog’s diet is optimal will result in the difference you see in your dog’s healthy skin, coat and energy level.

• Have you heard of Nutro? The low protein foods they have available are Ultra Weight Management (17%), Natural Choice Lite (17%), Natural Choice Large Breed Weight Management (18%), and Max Weight Control (16%). I know these all sound like "diet" foods, but in the feeding guidelines they give the amounts for maintenance feeding as well as weight reduction. So if your dog is at a healthy weight, you would feed the amount stated under "maintenance". With all of Nutro's foods you will get an all natural, human grade food; no ground yellow corn, which is a filler and a big allergen among pups; no by-products, which can include heads, feet and intestines; and no artificial flavors or colors. Nutro also has the highest levels of essential fatty acids (Omega 3 & 6) to help promote healthy skin and coat and also reduce shedding. And all of their foods are 100% guaranteed! Max is your basic premium food, and probably the lowest priced premium food on the market. Natural Choice has added vitamins and minerals and has some formulas geared towards specific needs (i.e. sensitive skin, sensitive stomach, etc.). And Ultra is a holistic food with more fruits and vegetables, also known as "super foods."