Can anyone give me any information on the dog breed Cockapoo?

How they are with children, how big they could get, feeding tips, bathing tips etc. Any information would be a big help.

How they are with children, how big they could get, feeding tips, bathing tips etc. Any information would be a big help....
    Other Pet Discussions : Can anyone give me any information on the dog breed Cockapoo?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can anyone give me any information on the dog breed Cockapoo?

Can anyone give me any information on the dog breed Cockapoo? Other Pet Discussions
      How they are with children, how big they could get, feeding tips, bathing tips etc. Any information would be a big help.

Can anyone give me any information on the dog breed Cockapoo? Other Pet Discussions
    • My family had a cockapoo years ago, and it was a nightmare. The dog had severe mental/emotional problems such as refusal to be house broken and aggression. When the dog bit my sister my parents took the dog to the vet who advised that the dog should be put down. I'm sure that could happen with any dog and any breed, so be sure you select the right dog with the right temperment for you.

• This is personal experience: My stepdad had a poodle and we had a cocker span.This produced "cockapoo's" They don't usually get bigger than the average cocker span. They are usually "hairy" so they shed...they normally take on the long ears and tails coz of both breeds... but mostly their hair will have some curl.Our poodle was grey and the cocker was blonde ---We had anything from solid black to black and white mix(only one was brown and white).. Several of ours looked like (small) English Sheepdogswith the hair staying in the eyes all the time... **just added this == food is just your choice ..but we normally had to "shave" the dogs in the summer... they "do" matt up...coz of the length of the hair.. They are great dogs and I think would be good with kids........."Justice" sent a (bad experience) info answer to you ---and tho' I'm not doubting that answer.. we had NUMEROUS litters over time and gave most away --- NEVER knew of something like that to happen...

• We have an almost 14 year old Cockapoo. His name is Dusty. We brought him home as a puppy and he has been around children all his life. He is pretty good with the kids, but has nipped a couple times when the littler ones pulled his hair. No blood drawn though. He weighs about 25 pounds and I think he is a pretty average size. We don't bathe him a lot at home, but when we do we just put him in the bathtub. We take him to a groomer every couple of months. He has very thick curly hair, but doesn't shed much. He is older now and doesn't eat as much. We give him a can of Mighty Dog each evening plus we keep Purina Dog Chow in a dish that he eats during the day if he wants. He is very playful, even at his age, he likes to play with a squeaky toy although not as much as he used to. We think he has been a good dog and we'll miss him when he is gone.

• First off, it is not a breed it is a crossbreed and as with all crossbreed you will have no idea how it will turn out. It may be most like the mother or the father, it may shed like a cocker or not like a poodle. It may have all the health issues that affect cockers or have all the health issues that affect poodles and if you are unlucky it may have both. It is very important that both the mother and father are screened for the relevant genetic health problems that affect both breeds. However, few responsible breeders will produce crossbreeds like this and so I imagine that the breeders of these crosses care very little about health checks. As for grooming the cocker/poodle crosses I have seen have had terrible coats, very poor quality and difficult to groom. Most people just clip the coat which then leads to awful skin problems. My advice is go for a well-bred cocker or a well-bred poodle from a responsible breeder who abides by the rules of the relevant breed club and who carries out all the required health screening tests. Cockapoos and all the other crosses with silly names are the favourites of the puppymillers as they can make alot of money out of breeding from sickly poor quality dogs and charge the public ridiculous prices because the have a "cute" name - don't support this evil trade.