What do you do for a dog that has constapation?

My dog is a Shiba Inu, male, about 20lbs and 1yr old. He frequently has trouble passing his bowels. He has fresh water available to him 24 hours a day, he gets both dry and moist food every day, and I give him unsalted peanuts as a treat. Anyone know…

My dog is a Shiba Inu, male, about 20lbs and 1yr old. He frequently has trouble passing his bowels. He has fresh water available to him 24 hours a day, he gets both dry and moist food every day, and I give him unsalted peanuts as a treat. Anyone know…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What do you do for a dog that has constapation?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What do you do for a dog that has constapation?

What do you do for a dog that has constapation? Other Pet Discussions
      My dog is a Shiba Inu, male, about 20lbs and 1yr old. He frequently has trouble passing his bowels. He has fresh water available to him 24 hours a day, he gets both dry and moist food every day, and I give him unsalted peanuts as a treat. Anyone know what I can do?

What do you do for a dog that has constapation? Other Pet Discussions
    • Put a teaspoon or two of mineral oil in his food. You can find it in the laxative section of your store. That should do it. If needed you can give him more. Make sure your ready to let him out cuz he's gonna need to go out! If he doesn't go he maybe blocked with garbage or a toy if he chews on stuff, then go to your vet. you can not use olive, canola or vegetable oil because the body absorbs those and will not act as a laxative.

• Dried food is good for a dog but they must be given extra water. My bother-in-law is a gamekeeper he feeds his dogs only dried food with at least a cup of hot water to moisten. You say you feed him nuts. This will bind him no matter how much water he takes. Even unsalted are they a healthy option for a dog? Please note that many foods, medicines and shampoo etc. are fine for us humans but could be lethal for our pets. It would be better for any pet to be fed one type of food - dried or moist perhaps the latter could be a treat. Please omit the nut treats and see for yourself if this is the cause of his constipation. Good luck Yia