how can I rid the ants without hurtin my cats?

I have two four months old kittens, and also an ant infestation. Whenever I put the food up for my cats, the ants just invade the bowl and my kitties can't eat. Is there a way I can rid the ants, or at least keep them away from the food without hurting…

I have two four months old kittens, and also an ant infestation. Whenever I put the food up for my cats, the ants just invade the bowl and my kitties can't eat. Is there a way I can rid the ants, or at least keep them away from the food without hurting…...
    Other Pet Discussions : how can I rid the ants without hurtin my cats?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• how can I rid the ants without hurtin my cats?

how can I rid the ants without hurtin my cats? Other Pet Discussions
      I have two four months old kittens, and also an ant infestation. Whenever I put the food up for my cats, the ants just invade the bowl and my kitties can't eat. Is there a way I can rid the ants, or at least keep them away from the food without hurting my kittens? I've never had cats before and I don't know what they can or cannot come in contact with.Some people have suggested salt lines. Wouldn't that hurt my kitties if they licked it?

how can I rid the ants without hurtin my cats? Other Pet Discussions
    • You're going to have to get them out of the house for a while, so a professional exterminator can take care of the ant problem. Just ask an exterminator, they'll tell you what methods are safe around cats.

• The ants won't cross a line of salt. If you put a solid ring of salt around the bowls, this should stop them.Also, when you feed the cats, clean up the bowls as soon as they're done...this will help to keep the ants away in the first place.

• I was at ACE yesterday and if you're willing to spend 45 bucks, they have a device that people swear by. You plug it into your wall and it transmits "high frequency" noise that is supposed to rid your house of insects, mice, and rats. It's covers roughly 2000 sq feet. doesn't affect the cats, but scares off the vermin....

• First, clean up really well. Don't leave cat food out. Feed them a little twice a day and if they walk away from the food, pick it up and put it in the fridge. Now, find out where they are coming in and see if you can caulk around there. Wash with ordinary liquid dish soap around the place they're coming in and all along trails they've left. They put down a scent trail and you need to get rid of that. Go outside and pour straight liquid dish soap near where they are coming in. You can plant marigolds around the house to discourage ants. Combat disks work really well and your cats will just ignore them. As a last resort.

• You can put Crisco around the base of the cat dish. Ants can't walk or eat Crisco unless they are grease ants. Ants also don't swim so you could put the cat dish in a pan of water and still leave the food " dry." Follow the trail back and poison the area where the cats don't go.

• hey i have cats. .lol . i try to find the place the ants are coming from usually a crack on the floor or a tiny place close by. I use pinesol WHILE MY CATS ARE NOT EATING. damp a rag, wipe really good. then i place the rag on or near the cracks the ants are coming from. i move my cats dinner dishes until i think the ants are gone. gotta find the source. they will keep coming back. Kitties gotta eat. so i do this plan of action several times during the day if you have time. Also, just dilute the pinesol just a tad bit.hope it works. FOR THE KITTIES SAKE TOO!!!!!!!!!!! :)

• This won't get rid of the ants but you can get a large plastic plate or pizza tin that is about 1/2"-1" deep and put water in it. Put the cat dish in the middle of the plate. That will keep the ants from getting to the food and won't hurt the cats.

• Crushed Bay leaves!!! they are not harmful to cats at all and it really really works..Just buy crushed or do it yourself and sprinkle around windows and where you feed your pets..it tried it last summer when they start to come around and it works wonders good luck!!!

• I face this very same problem at a certain time every single year. But, I've learned to win the battle of the ants!First, pick up all the food and water. Put the kittens in another room. Open the windows for ventilation. Spray ant poison on a rag and wipe the entire area where the food bowl goes and the line on ants to where they come in. Then, wipe with a clean, damp rag.Let that dry real well. Make sure the room airs out and then put fresh water down. Put the food bowl in a larger bowl -- such as a pie tin -- with water in it. Then let the kittens back in the room.Wa-La. No more ants!