How do you feel about dogs getting on furniture and sleeping with you in bed?

I know they should be on the floor if they are in training for dominant behaviors, but after they have worked out their problems, shouldn't they be allowed to sleep with the "pack"? I have a huge 100 lb four year old dog (very submissive to other dogs,…

I know they should be on the floor if they are in training for dominant behaviors, but after they have worked out their problems, shouldn't they be allowed to sleep with the "pack"? I have a huge 100 lb four year old dog (very submissive to other dogs,…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do you feel about dogs getting on furniture and sleeping with you in bed?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do you feel about dogs getting on furniture and sleeping with you in bed?

How do you feel about dogs getting on furniture and sleeping with you in bed? Other Pet Discussions
      I know they should be on the floor if they are in training for dominant behaviors, but after they have worked out their problems, shouldn't they be allowed to sleep with the "pack"? I have a huge 100 lb four year old dog (very submissive to other dogs, children and people) and he loves to sleep with us, and sit on the couch with us. He does try to be the lap-dog sometimes (which is hilarious to see) but will listen when he is told to get down. He goes to sleep in my spot with my husband and when I go to bed he usually moves, sometimes he tries to test me, but will eventually move. Do you let your dog(s) get on the furniture why or why not?details added for santitary reasons: I wash sheets/covers twice a week and we have a king size bed! ...I don't want ya'll thinking I'm gross!!

How do you feel about dogs getting on furniture and sleeping with you in bed? Other Pet Discussions
    • Our two dogs, a shih tzu and a miniature poodle, are true lap dogs. They love to sit on your lap or right beside you and cuddle. They are allowed on the furniture and on the bed with us as long as they behave and share the blankets ha ha...they are like kids to us.

• I have let my little 12 lb. dog have free reign of the furniture & I've come to regret it. . . much of the time, she doesn't acknowledge I'm the boss!In your case, however, it sounds like your dog (mostly) acknowledges your dominance. If it is not presenting a major inconvenience & if he's not slipping into other inappropriate behaviors, I'd "let sleeping dogs lie."

• I do not mind the pooch on the furniture, but for such a big dog, I draw the line at the bed. 100lbs is as big as another person in the bed. There are enough already there with just the 2 of us. A small dog might be allowed though.

• A 100 lb dog - that's another person and a person of that size should have their own bed. I don't let my dog on the furniture - you will have the dog hair and smell in the material. Dogs sweat and smell - so bathing it is very important.

• I think that if your dog being on your furniture or bed does not bother you or your husband then you should do what makes the family happy. And I'm sure it makes your very large dog happy as well. He sounds like a big baby (smile).

• MY golden retriever that weighs 88 lbs. sleeps in our king size bed, but is not allwed to get on anything else. He is a great loyal and respectful boy, he knows the rules. He is 7yrs old.

• If you are sure you are the leader of the pack then it would be okay to allow it sometimes. Make sure you tell the dog when he can come up or down. The alpha wolf in a wolf pack would not sleep with the much lower ranking wolfs

• I let my son errrr dog get on the furniture and he sleeps with me every night. Of course he is only 14 pounds and does not take up the whole bed. lol But I would let your dog on the furniture and in the bed.. After all they are part of the family. Hve a great day and God bless!!!!

• My dogs are outdoor dogs, so they know when it's ok to come inside, and that's only if it's really hot, or pouring with rain. They have their Kennel outside, and I made them beds and put their favourite blankets in with. They love it. One of my dogs is a chihuhua, but he was a farm dog, so he's used to being outside. My other one was a neglected giveaway, which we nurtured and we love, but again I think he was trained to stay outside, originally, and he loves sleeping with his little chihuhua mate. I personally don't like the dogs on the furniture or beds, due to terrible fleas in summer, even though we control them. The kids are bad enough on the furniture as it is.

• We have 2 dogs, each about 35 lbs. We allow them on the furniture (our fault) and they jump on the bed hoping to get "lucky" and sleep with us, but we never let them.They have crates for sleeping and that it the best place for them. Even tho our dogs are flea free, I dont care for the hair where I am sleeping, especially arount the pillows.Your dog is huge, its like a 3rd human sleeping in the bed. no thanks! :) I have king sized bed too, but i'd rather not add that 3rd body, no matter what it is.