How do I tell if a hamster in a store is pregnant?

I'm thinking about buying a female hamster but I wanna make sure its not pregnant before i buy it. Are there any signs that a female is pregnant that id be able to tell just buy looking at it / picking it up for a few mins?

I'm thinking about buying a female hamster but I wanna make sure its not pregnant before i buy it. Are there any signs that a female is pregnant that id be able to tell just buy looking at it / picking it up for a few mins? ...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I tell if a hamster in a store is pregnant?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I tell if a hamster in a store is pregnant?

How do I tell if a hamster in a store is pregnant? Other Pet Discussions
      I'm thinking about buying a female hamster but I wanna make sure its not pregnant before i buy it. Are there any signs that a female is pregnant that id be able to tell just buy looking at it / picking it up for a few mins?

How do I tell if a hamster in a store is pregnant? Other Pet Discussions
    • Nothing really.I mean, where I work, we get fat hamsters often, if they've been in the store for a bit, but we haven't had a hamster pregnancy from the store for over a year.There's no direct sign unless she's a few days from giving birth- it's hard to know if she's fat or pregnant, since Syrians tend to get plump quickly. If you see her sides bulging, question it. NOTE- Nest building and food storing is /not/ a sign of pregnancy since all hamsters do it, male or female, pregnant or not.It doesn't happen as often as people make out anyway. It's quite rare to find a pregnant hamster in a pet shop, in my opinion.

• Unless she is ready to give birth in the next few days, then no not really. If you look into the cage and she has set up a large nest, then look at her belly. If her nipples are protruding and she is a bit fat...she may be pregnant. If you want to find a hamster and give it a good home, why not go down to your local ASPCA and they can even tell you the sex of the hamster and whether or not she's pregnant.

• u often cant tell as they are usually fat.instead of getting on from a pet store i advise u to get one from a breeder as the ones in the pet store are usually unhealthy and unhappy. i got a pregnant guinea pig. little piglets are so cute i would want to get a baby guinea pig.if pregnant usually unsociable eg in corner maybe making nest.hope this helps =D