What type of harness is best for my horse?

6 year old Friesian. I want to invest in a good harness. A previous trainer said Zilco's are the best and I do love them and think they are built great for the horse.I have always used big ol' work harnesses with collars as I used to have percherons. …

6 year old Friesian. I want to invest in a good harness. A previous trainer said Zilco's are the best and I do love them and think they are built great for the horse.I have always used big ol' work harnesses with collars as I used to have percherons. …...
    Other Pet Discussions : What type of harness is best for my horse?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What type of harness is best for my horse?

What type of harness is best for my horse? Other Pet Discussions
      6 year old Friesian. I want to invest in a good harness. A previous trainer said Zilco's are the best and I do love them and think they are built great for the horse.I have always used big ol' work harnesses with collars as I used to have percherons. But for my Friesian, would you go with a neck collar or breast collar? I know it can be preference, but what would you suggest?What brand?Are collars bad for a young horse that hasn't developed all their shoulder muscles big and strong yet?Thanks for your input!

What type of harness is best for my horse? Other Pet Discussions
    • Using a breastcollar or a neck collar on your harness is going to really depend on the kind of vehicle you have them pulling and the type of work they're going to be doing. When my Haflinger had a job before I bought him -- and I do mean a real job as he was owned by a couple who had a carriage business -- he was pulling things like wagons (in a team of 4)and a vis-a-vis in pairs. He wore a neck collar when he did that so he could push into the harness from his hindquarters rather than pulling it from the shoulders the way he would if he was wearing a breastcollar harness. Right now, his harness is a breastcollar style because I only have a little 2 wheel easy entry cart and he's not pulling a lot of weight with it.As far as harness brnds go, I don't think I like the Zilco harnesses as much as I like the ComfyFit. I've got a Ron's Liberty nylon harness with an Amish made beta breastcollar (came with a false martingale) because I am still shopping for a beta/biothane harness. I think I'm going to end up with the ComfyFit harness because I love the shape of the deluxe breastcollar, and that's less expensive than the Zilco Empathy collar.