How can I understand my cats more?

From cats body language, should know what they feel right? I want to learn more the meaning of that body language to understand my cats more.

From cats body language, should know what they feel right? I want to learn more the meaning of that body language to understand my cats more....
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I understand my cats more?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How can I understand my cats more?

How can I understand my cats more? Other Pet Discussions
      From cats body language, should know what they feel right? I want to learn more the meaning of that body language to understand my cats more.

How can I understand my cats more? Other Pet Discussions
    • Cats are naturaly lazy, so don't panic when they sleep too long or lay too much. When cats are angry, watch the ears and tail. The ears will be back and the tail will be up. Your cats ears and tail can tell you alot. Most of the time, I can tell by my cats eyes if he is sick. You can see the expression.

• HiGet a book entitled 'Your Talking Cat' by Jack Richter. It tells you the meaning of all cat moves, sounds and habits and how to interpret them. Obtainable from The Windsor Group, The Old Schoolhouse, 1 St John's Court, Moulsham Street, Chelmsford, Essex, CM2 0LD or telephone 0871 230 1122 ask for Dept BKA. Go on-line by typing in The Windsor Group and search. If you order on-line it's cheaper and if you phone they'll tell you that.Hope you enjoy it.Richard

• Honestly, the best way to understand your cats more is to spend time with them. I've "been owned" by cats all my life so I have a lot of experience with body language and cat behavior. I've also done a lot of reading too. There are lots of books about cat behavior and most of them are pretty entertaining and funny. In general, here are some pointers:A cat with it's tail up high in the ear and it's ears forward is a happy, friendly cat. In fact, you will notice that when you pet your cat head to tail, it will often raise it's tail high in the air and purr. A cat that is crouched down low, ears back is fearful and afraid. Don't confuse this with a cat that is crouching low and ready to pounce...the ears will be forward when a cat is hunting or playing with a toy or another cat.A cat that has it's back arched, all it's hair standing on end and it's ears back is threatening and ready to attack. This is a very aggressive posture. The cat will usually be hissing or growling. A cat that is on it's back, exposing it belly is extremely content and trusting of you. This is a very vulnerable position for a cat. When a cat rolls on it's back with another cat, however, it is an act of submission to a more dominant or menacing cat. It's a way for the cat to say, "I don't want to fight. I surrender."A cat who's tail is swishing back and forth quickly is generally annoyed. The cat may show you one of it's fangs or put one ear back so as to say, "You're irritating me. Stop it."A cat who squints his eyes at you is telling you it's happy and ready to chill-out.A purr is a form of communication. Cats do not purr in the absence of others. It is used in times of extreme happiness or extreme distress. A cat who kneads you with his paws isn't really telling you anything other than that maybe you remind him of his mama. This is a behavior that comes from kittenhood. Kittens knead their mother's belly to stimulate the production of milk. A cat who refuses to eat or drink and hides from you is telling you that he doesn't feel well and is sick. Take him to the vet immediately.These are just some of the basics. Each cat is different. Just spend time with your cats and be observant. You will be surprised how much you will be able to communicate. Good luck!