How do I get my dog to stop eating my carpet?

Everytime my 11 month old puppy is left at home, he eats the carpet. He finds a seam and rips it up. He has numerous toys and we also have a 2 year old dog that stays home with him. We have resorted to keeping the puppy locked up in the bathroom…

Everytime my 11 month old puppy is left at home, he eats the carpet. He finds a seam and rips it up. He has numerous toys and we also have a 2 year old dog that stays home with him. We have resorted to keeping the puppy locked up in the bathroom…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I get my dog to stop eating my carpet?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I get my dog to stop eating my carpet?

How do I get my dog to stop eating my carpet? Other Pet Discussions
      Everytime my 11 month old puppy is left at home, he eats the carpet. He finds a seam and rips it up. He has numerous toys and we also have a 2 year old dog that stays home with him. We have resorted to keeping the puppy locked up in the bathroom whenever we leave the house. I feel bad about leaving him in there, but I don't know what else to do!HE NEVER DOES THIS WHEN ANYONE IS HOME WITH HIM so I don't know how to make him understand it's not okay.

How do I get my dog to stop eating my carpet? Other Pet Discussions
    • Get a doggy crate and put him in it whenever he does that. Its like a little child. It needs to know what is right and whats not. If all this fails, take him to a trainor or get a book about it.

• Well, you could kinda tap/hit it's nose and say firmly, "NO." then, right after that, give it it's toy and throw it somewhere to throw it's mind off of the bad things that it shouldn't do. I have a 3 month old puppy and she doesn't chew on anyting, but her toys. Well, NOW she does that.

• Dog's chew things when you are not home, because they are mad that you are not there to be with them. My 3 year old dog, still eats paper from the garbage can when i am at work, every day. You can try putting Icy Hot or something menthol scented on the carpet when he is chewing. (menthol is the one thing that all dog's hate) My dog eats hot sauce so Cayenne pepper is out. My dog was chewing my door, and i just removed him from the door (kept him in the kitchen) while I was not home for about 3 weeks, and he finally forgot about it.Hope this helps.

• There is something called Sour Apple. It is made to keep dogs from chewing on things. It is a spray. They don't like the taste of it. If you spray it in their mouth once, they won't like it and then they will associate that smell with the bad taste. It won't hurt them.