How do I keep my cat from missing the litter box?

My cat consistently leaves one "turd" out of her box. It is often very close to the box, but not always. We clean her box several times a day and empty the litter twice a week. we are using clumping litter so there is no residue. HELP!!! My husband…

My cat consistently leaves one "turd" out of her box. It is often very close to the box, but not always. We clean her box several times a day and empty the litter twice a week. we are using clumping litter so there is no residue. HELP!!! My husband…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I keep my cat from missing the litter box?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I keep my cat from missing the litter box?

How do I keep my cat from missing the litter box? Other Pet Discussions
      My cat consistently leaves one "turd" out of her box. It is often very close to the box, but not always. We clean her box several times a day and empty the litter twice a week. we are using clumping litter so there is no residue. HELP!!! My husband wants to get rid of her if we can't solve this problem.

How do I keep my cat from missing the litter box? Other Pet Discussions
    • I've seen some litter boxes in shapes similar to a dome or an igloo. If the cat would go far enough into such a structure, it seems reasonable that there's no way she could miss.

• I had a friend with this problem- He got a bigger litter box and that solved the problem. Try looking at some of those under the beds plastic storage bins, they are usually much bigger than an average litter box.Also, even though I don't think your cat has a problem, you should take her to the vet, just to make sure nothing is happening internally.

• you could to what I had to do. I got one of those long storage boxes and turned it into a litterbox. one of my cats was having the same problem but the oversize litter box really helped. The container cost me about 12 dollars and does use a little more litter but the end result was definently(sp?) worth it.

• Your cat could also have a medical problem.Cat's have been known to do that if something is wrong.It is usually is NOT serious.Please take your cat to the Vet,If this continues.Good Luck !!

• Part of your problem is that you may be cleaning the box TOO much. Scooping several times a day is one thing, but emptying twice a week is excessive. Clumping litter is designed for longer use. Your kitty is probably having trouble finding her scent. Anyway, buy a litter box with a cover on it and your problem will be solved. Her projectile turds will bounce off the cover wall and land in the box.

• Either a bigger box -- but if space is a concern -- like at my house -- we have a litter box with shield sides on it keeps things from going out when the cat attempts to bury the waste and scratches. The sides come up and over a little bit. Also a dome style would work too. Good luck -- give the kitty a chance hubby....

• My cat has very long hair and sometimes sticks to her fur,(turd) so I trimmed it down around the "skirt" as I call it and i bought a Littermaid, it is a self cleaning box where it is larger and deeper and always clean and all you do is empty the tray. There are 2 sizes, if I were you, I would get the Mega, it is larger and more heavy duty and will help you. Pet store or Walmart, I think walmart only has the smaller ones for 89 dollars but still if you can't afford twice the amount of money, get that one. And use tidy cat clumping only in it...junzfour

• Try a covered litter box, or a bigger one like suggested. If shes a big girl she may have a hard time fitting into the box you have?I used a covered box for my boy (hes about 10 lbs). Its the Catty Corner litter box (I just tossed the sifter thing after a week, that part of its total crap). He really kicks his litter around and scratches, so it was getting all over. PetSmart used to sell it for like $18 but its not on the website or in MY local store anymore. If your local store doesnt have it Drsfosterandsmith.com has it for $29.99 which is the cheapest I've found.

• Try and figure out why.Several possibilities:a) It gets stuck to the furry area around the rump and falls out as she leave the box;b) She is a it dehydrated and it sticks partway out her anus and only falls when she leaves;c) She knocks it out she is burying;d) She is frightened and runs out of the box just before she is all the way done;e) The box is too small and she walks forward as she goes so the last part falls oustide the box.It will be easier to find a solution once you know the cause. (And your husband should be more tolerant of the problem. Sure it is gross but still...)