What is a good dog proof wastebasket that could defeat a Doberman who knows how to open one with a foot pad?

My Dobie can either nose open the lid or pounce on the foot peddle to open the wastebasket. The only time my kitchen floor is safe when I leave the house is if I remember to turn it around so that he cannot access the foot peddle and the top opens the…

What is a good dog proof wastebasket that could defeat a Doberman who knows how to open one with a foot pad?

My Dobie can either nose open the lid or pounce on the foot peddle to open the wastebasket. The only time my kitchen floor is safe when I leave the house is if I remember to turn it around so that he cannot access the foot peddle and the top opens the…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What is a good dog proof wastebasket that could defeat a Doberman who knows how to open one with a foot pad?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is a good dog proof wastebasket that could defeat a Doberman who knows how to open one with a foot pad?

What is a good dog proof wastebasket that could defeat a Doberman who knows how to open one with a foot pad? Other Pet Discussions
      My Dobie can either nose open the lid or pounce on the foot peddle to open the wastebasket. The only time my kitchen floor is safe when I leave the house is if I remember to turn it around so that he cannot access the foot peddle and the top opens the wrong direction. Does anyone have any suggestions?He never knocks it over, he takes what he wants from it once it has opened, chews it up all over the kitchen, and goes back for more. He's rather odd, I guess.

What is a good dog proof wastebasket that could defeat a Doberman who knows how to open one with a foot pad? Other Pet Discussions
    • My mom has a trash can in her kitchen that is made out of wood. It is about 4 feet tall and has a square lid with a round knob. I doubt any dog could knock it over. You can usually buy these in craft stores. They are great.

• HEE, HEE, I LOVE IT! HE IS SMART! THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF IS PUTTING IT IN A CUPBOARD. ALTHOUGH HE MAY BE SMART ENOUGH TO LEARN HOW TO OPEN THAT TOO! WHAT A BOOGER!

• Simple fix, just remember to run it around. But to actually train him not to mess with the trash can, you could take him to it and touch the can with his paw, then strongly scold him. Wait for a couple minutes and do the same. Repeat this until he shys away from the trash can. There is also a spray that you can get at the local pet store that keeps dogs away. It is meant to keep them off the furniture.

• I think a wood trash can with a mesh top would be best. That way you are the only one who can get your fingers under the lid to knock it over... also try wieghing down a trash can with some bricks, you loose a little space, but prevent it from knocking over..