How do you treat well water for aquariums?

Our well water is 100 grains hard, full of iron and minerals. It also kills fish.. I tried. Is there a way to make it fish safe? any logical alternatives?

Our well water is 100 grains hard, full of iron and minerals. It also kills fish.. I tried. Is there a way to make it fish safe? any logical alternatives?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do you treat well water for aquariums?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do you treat well water for aquariums?

How do you treat well water for aquariums? Other Pet Discussions
      Our well water is 100 grains hard, full of iron and minerals. It also kills fish.. I tried. Is there a way to make it fish safe? any logical alternatives?

How do you treat well water for aquariums? Other Pet Discussions
    • simple . . . . use bottled water . .. it doesnt cost that much and it is easy to treat.a thought though?if it kills fish . . . how safe are you?contact your local agriculture office or water treatment plant and have your water tested . . . you may not want to be using it for anything either.

• WELL NOT A THING BUT TO BE SAFE BOIL IT AN US THE RIGHT WATER CHEMICAL TO KEEP IT CLEAN AN PURE. THE PROBLEM WITH CITY AN TOWN WATER IS THE IS TO MANY CHEMICALS AN THE PROBLEM WITH BOTTEL WATER IS THAT IT HAS A CHEMICAL THAT MAKES IT LAST LONGER FOR TASTE

• i dont knwo anythign about the grains and such but your pet store will definatly have drops that you put into your tank to neutralize the water, but i believe it recommends letting it sit for a few hours before letting the fish in.bottled water works well too but it is expensive, especially if your keeping inexpensive fish such as goldfish. if none of the drops work then the pet store will have a place for your to test your water, and they should also have whatever u need to add to the water to make it safegood luck!

• Well water is actually better for fish tanks because it doesn't contain any chlorine. The problem is it is "hard water" like you mentioned with lots of iron and minerals. It also contains a lot of C02 (carbon dioxide).The easiest thing to do, is take a sample of your water down to your Local fish store and tell them what your problem is. They can test your water and tell you the pH and what your general water chemistry is. Another easy thing to do is just leave the water sit overnight to get the C02 out of it before you put it into the tank. By the way, get real aquarium plants which will love the C02 and convert it to oxygen. Also be sure to "cycle" your tank before adding a bunch of fish. This may be killing the fish and not your water. See this website below for details on water chemistry and general info on fish tanks. Good luck.Also just as a side note, a lot of the so called "experts" giving answers to this question do not know what they are talking about. I'm sure your water is absolutely safe for you. For fish they live in the water and different fish have different water chemistry needs. I also think it isn't your water that is killing the fish, but the lack of a cycle to start the tank up. Good luck!