How can I keep dogs from laying in the flowerbed and decorative yard plants?

My dogs and stray dogs like to lay in the flowers and leafy plants to cool off. I tried using the short decorative fencing but they just step over it. Anything else will cover the plants so you can't see them. They are farm dogs so I don't want to chain…

My dogs and stray dogs like to lay in the flowers and leafy plants to cool off. I tried using the short decorative fencing but they just step over it. Anything else will cover the plants so you can't see them. They are farm dogs so I don't want to chain…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I keep dogs from laying in the flowerbed and decorative yard plants?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How can I keep dogs from laying in the flowerbed and decorative yard plants?

How can I keep dogs from laying in the flowerbed and decorative yard plants? Other Pet Discussions
      My dogs and stray dogs like to lay in the flowers and leafy plants to cool off. I tried using the short decorative fencing but they just step over it. Anything else will cover the plants so you can't see them. They are farm dogs so I don't want to chain them up or kennel them. They have a pond, a river and a fountain/pool to cool off but they still want to relax on the plants. I'm thinking of putting decorative rock aroung the plants instead of the redwood to make it less comfortable.

How can I keep dogs from laying in the flowerbed and decorative yard plants? Other Pet Discussions
    • Please do NOT use moth balls! See below:"Moth BallsMoth balls are not actually used to kill moths, but rather contain a substance cwhich is used to repel moths from your closets. Either naphthalene or para dichlorobenzene, can be used in moth balls, and both substances are toxic. This chemical tends to change it's state from a solid to a gas form very quickly. If inhailed it can be fatal, and if ingested moth balls are extremely harmful. Do not induce vomiting if ingested - rather drink plenty of water and consult a veterinarian as soon as possible. Moth balls can cause hemolytic anemia, a decrease in red blood cells, or the amount of hemoglobin the body produces. This can inhibit the blood from supplying the required amounts of oxygen to the body. Symptoms can include: weakness, lethargy, increased heart and respiration rate, pale mucous membranes, jaundice, vomiting and abdominal pain. Urine may also contain traces of blood."As mentioned by someone else, redirect the pets to an area that is OK to lay in. Reward with treats when they go there. You can also squirt them with the hose if they lay down where they are not supposed to. They'll get the message pretty quick. But make sure you balance this with treats, pets and praise when they go to the right spot.