Why is my dog dragging on her belly?

Nearly all the time she will drag her belly on the carpet or do this rocking back and forth thing. Is she scratching or is she doing this out of boredom? Do I need to visit with a vet over this?

Nearly all the time she will drag her belly on the carpet or do this rocking back and forth thing. Is she scratching or is she doing this out of boredom? Do I need to visit with a vet over this?...
    General Dog Discussions : Why is my dog dragging on her belly?...

• Why is my dog dragging on her belly?

Why is my dog dragging on her belly? General Dog Discussions
      Nearly all the time she will drag her belly on the carpet or do this rocking back and forth thing. Is she scratching or is she doing this out of boredom? Do I need to visit with a vet over this?

Why is my dog dragging on her belly? General Dog Discussions
    • If this is a new behavior, she ie probaly itchy. I see a few possible causes for the itching. Either she has an allergic reaction (to flea bites, the treats or the food you give her, or the grooming products you are using), a fungal or bacterial skin infection, or mites. ALLERGIESCheck for fleas. Many dogs are allergic to flea bites. You may not be able to see the fleas directly because they like to hide but you can always see the debris they leave behind that looks like finely ground coffee. If you see these and put them in water, they will turn red.You can get rid of the fleas on your pet with natural methods so that she is not exposed to the harmful chemicals of Frontline, Advantage and other popular flea medications which will harm her sooner or later. Check this link for recommendations http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Fleas-NaturallyAlso, you can get rid of fleas in your yard where she roams by dusting it with inexpensive diatomaceous earth. See this link for more info on its use to control fleas http://www.fleacontrolbook.com/naturalfleacontrol/diatomaceous-earth-the-a-miracle-cure-for-flea-control/Check the ingredients of the food and treats you give her. Dogs digestive system is not designed to handle grains well. Do not give her anything with wheat or corn. If the treats contain grains such as wheat or corn stop them immediately. If you have recently changed the food you give her, discontinue it and get food that has no grains and that lists real whole meat on the bag as a primary ingredient – chicken, lamb, salmon, etc. If you just introduced a new grooming product, discontinue it immediately.SKIN INFECTIONFor any skin infection (bacterial or fungal) such as the ones commonly caused by the use of steroids like Prednisone, cortisone or the so called “allergy shot” or any secondary infections caused by flea bite allergy or mites, as well as cuts, scrapes, etc. I recommend a powder called 'Flowers of Sulfur' (also known as 'brimstone' or 'sublime sulfur'). This substance has been used for thousands of years to cure all kinds of skin ailments and if there is itching, it will stop it very quickly. Among many other uses, it has been effectively used as a remedy for bacterial and fungal infections. Google it to learn more about its healing properties.Even vets have forgotten about this wonderful and inexpensive remedy but fortunately you can still purchase it at your local pharmacy for very little money. You can also buy it online at http://www.pennherb.com/search?mp=s&se=Flowers+of+Sulphur+PowderFlowers of sulfur is safe to apply to your pet's skin but take care not to inhale sulfur powder.You can dust this powder on your dog's skin OR mix it with an oil to rub on the skin. I prefer the latter.The dusting can easily be accomplished if you use a powdered sugar duster or an empty talcum powder bottle. Separate the hair as you go around dusting to expose the skin until you have covered it.Alternatively, mix 2 tablespoons of flower of sulfur with 1 cup of Jojoba oil and put it in a bottle. Always shake to mix well before applying to the skin as it tends to separate. You do not need to wear gloves as it is not toxic to humans either.MITESThere are three types of mites that attack dogs most often: demodectic (not contagious and may itch or not), sarcoptic (very contagious and extremely itchy) and cheyletiella (contagious and mildly itchy). This condition is known as mange. The typical symptoms of mange include hair loss and scaly or crusty skin as the condition progresses.If the reason for the itching is mites, avoid the medications most often prescribed by vets that contain toxic chemicals that will harm your dog sooner or later. These are Ivermectin (also known as Ivomec) and Amitraz (also known as Mitaban). Instead, I recommend a natural, effective, easy to use, and inexpensive spray treatment that will kill the mites but is harmless to pets and humans. You can get it at http://www.florapetnaturals.com/online-store.html