Pug won't "potty" outside!?

I rescued an adult female pug yesterday. She had been with her foster family for almost two weeks but before that she was rescued from a Puppy Mill. She is 2 years old and spayed. Healthy as I was informed by foster family/humane society.I'm totally…

I rescued an adult female pug yesterday. She had been with her foster family for almost two weeks but before that she was rescued from a Puppy Mill. She is 2 years old and spayed. Healthy as I was informed by foster family/humane society.I'm totally…...
    General Dog Discussions : Pug won't "potty" outside!?...

• Pug won't "potty" outside!?

Pug won't "potty" outside!? General Dog Discussions
      I rescued an adult female pug yesterday. She had been with her foster family for almost two weeks but before that she was rescued from a Puppy Mill. She is 2 years old and spayed. Healthy as I was informed by foster family/humane society.I'm totally perplexed! She will NOT go potty outside. And I've only caught her pee ONCE inside the house and after that I tethered her to me and made sure she hadn't gone ANYwhere else in the house. She hadn't . Not in her crate either.Last night I attempted to crate her when I went to bed but she moaned/whined so I finally put her in bed with me at 1 am. She slept quietly until 7 am when my son woke up. My bed was clean...no accident.I immediately took her outside to try to get her to potty and she just looked at me lol. After I took her inside maybe 2 minutes later I caught her peeing and immediately said "No!" and took her outside. She didn't finish!HELP please!!!! What do I do?So basically she has not used the bathroom since 7:30 am this morning. I've taken her to the park, let her run around...nothing. Gave her water at the park....nothing. She even has water in her crate but still no pee/etc!I know she's gotta go sooner or later but I'm hoping it's at least before I go to bed tonight because I know she is going to whine/moan unless I let her sleep on my bed. Hopefully she would be good on my bed like she was last night but I honestly don't know. Someone please help me. This is really bothering me!

Pug won't "potty" outside!? General Dog Discussions
    • You're doing the right thing. Take her out lots and if you catch her doing it inside take her outside immediately. Obviously she wasn't cared for properly and doesn't know yet. Puppy mills mean she was going in her cage and not going outside for regular visits. Dogs don't generally like to mess their sleeping areas so she could be used to holding it in and peeing infrequently. She shouldn't take long being an adult but until then it will take patience and encouragement. Once she gets on a schedule than she'll be fine. Pee in the morning, afternoon, during walk, or at night, you know. As long as her appetite, mood, energy level and everything else seems okay than I wouldn't worry too much. Any of those signs may mean a visit to the vet is in order to see if something else is going on but they would be noticeable signs. Not I'm new here and wondering what's going on signs. Congrats on rescuing a dog.

• Good for you - it sounds like she's found her place with someone that has a lot of patience and will take care of her. Pugs are such loving little dogs. They live for your attention and love. They're natural born comedians and love to be in your lap. They love to play play play. They need those chew bones and lots of squeaky toys. I'm not sure if this could be the case, but since you said she came from a puppy mill, it could be that she is cleaning her places. I have read that the mother cleans up after their pups and can sometimes clean up after themselves if they have been unusually punished for messes.Sounds like you're doing the right thing by taking her outside. I believe all you can do is treat her like a puppy and take her outside every hour and a half and walk around with her. Just watch her behavior and when she acts like she's looking for that spot, stop and wait for her. It sort of funny when they start looking because they wonder around in a circle or figure 8. Some times they just go back and forth smelling the ground. After she does her thing, softly praise her and give her a treat.Same thing in the house, just watch her actions. If she acts like it, or starts to go, make a loud noise, scoop her up and outside you go.I don't know if putting a stuffed toy (without buttons or something she could chew off and swallow) or something with your scent on it and a ticking clock by her would help or not, but you might give that a try at night - or maybe even a radio? My hat's off to you for rescuing a Pug!! Good luck to you =)