how late is it for a dog to have an abortion?

my dog got pregnant in the comfort of our home. She was in heat and a dog scratched through our laundry room door where she was. She was bred and we neither want the puppies or have the room for them, or time! I know this sounds heartless, but we have a…

my dog got pregnant in the comfort of our home. She was in heat and a dog scratched through our laundry room door where she was. She was bred and we neither want the puppies or have the room for them, or time! I know this sounds heartless, but we have a…...
    General Dog Discussions : how late is it for a dog to have an abortion?...

• how late is it for a dog to have an abortion?

how late is it for a dog to have an abortion? General Dog Discussions
      my dog got pregnant in the comfort of our home. She was in heat and a dog scratched through our laundry room door where she was. She was bred and we neither want the puppies or have the room for them, or time! I know this sounds heartless, but we have a full bred dog and the other is a mut. does anyone know how late is to late to abort the pups? Thanks in advanced for answers!

how late is it for a dog to have an abortion? General Dog Discussions
    • That's horrible, don't do that to your dog. Just let her have the puppies and give them to good homes. Get her spayed, she should have been already.

• If your dog were spayed it would not have mattered. Even if the dogs were the same breed you would have had the same problem. Unregistered, non pedigreed, non health tested poorly bred dogs adding to pet over population. I say take her in to the vet to make sure this is the safest option for your dog, and if it is not, then make sure you rehome them correctly.

• You don't state how long ago this happened and if you are sure she is pregnant. Any way they can abort the pups if she is pregnant right up until she would deliver. The sooner you can your vet the better and have her spayed at the same time, please. There are enough unwanted dogs in this world already.

• Take her to a vet and have her spayed. They'll abort the pups at the same time. Don't add to the overpopulation problem. There are enough unwanted dogs in the world (I volunteer for a Boxer rescue...you'd be amazed at the number of dogs we "rehome" every year).

• I'm fairly certain they can abort the pups any time during the pregnancy. If you are going to do this, I hope you'll do it sooner rather than later. Talk to your vet and he or she can explain the procedure.

• I can't remember the time frame on this. But I do know that the options of having a "mismate" injection can cause and array for problems later on if you plan to breed her at all. If you don't plan on breeding her I suggest having her spayed. You can have this done while she is pregnant, but again some veterinarians have a time frame of when they will do this. The reason is the vascular system and the risk of excessive bleeding due to the larger vessels feeding the reproductive system and being pregnant. Talk with your veterinarian about the options you have regarding this. Personally I would have her spayed. You have already mentioned that you don't want the puppies because of time and room. In her best interest would be to have her spayed. This eliminates a whole lot of problems now and in the future.Good luck

• im sorry, but ill say it! Its a form of dog racism! The dog that mated with her was NOT to your liking so you wanna KILL the unborn pups? That is cruel! If your so worried about the dog gettin pregnant then she should have been fixed. But mixed breed dogs are as great as pure breds! Unfortunatley there are sick places that will do it........

• You could sell the pups, as being mixed. Other-wised, call a vet or the SpCA & they can tell you. Then get her spayed, before the little mutt comes back. LOL

• to think all of this could have been prevented if u would have fixed ur dog. it isnt too late to abort the pups but honestly i suggest u get her fixed once u make a decision. u said it urself u have no time or space for the puppies so i just have to ask. y didnt u have her spayed when she was 6 months old

• Ummm how CRUEL!!!!!! They are puppies no matter how far along in pregnancy she is. Wait for the puppies to be born, find them homes or surrender them somewhere that they can be found homes and get her spayed! Short sweet and to the point answer. Yes it is that simple. I am anti abortion. I do not like the thought of killing any type of unborn baby.

• i didn't even know you can abort puppies.but please don't, just because you didn't spay your dog shouldn't mean the puppies have to pay for that mistake...wait for the puppies to come out then put them up for adoption, or try to find a good home for them.its the least you can do for them, you owe the dogs!or if you REALLY do have no time/room for them, take your dog to the vet and discuss if there is any way someone else can keep the dog for a few weeks and take care of the puppies.and now, SERIOUSLY get your pet spayed.