how late is it for a dog to have an abortion?

my dog got pregnant in the comfort of our home. She was in heat and a dog scratched through our laundry room door where she was. She was bred and we neither want the puppies or have the room for them, or time! I know this sounds heartless, but we have a…

how late is it for a dog to have an abortion?

my dog got pregnant in the comfort of our home. She was in heat and a dog scratched through our laundry room door where she was. She was bred and we neither want the puppies or have the room for them, or time! I know this sounds heartless, but we have a…...
    General Dog Discussions : how late is it for a dog to have an abortion?...

• As other said, you should be able to do it all the way up until the birth. The question needs to be SHOULD YOU? Even if you don't care about the ethical issues of it, you must consider the effect it can have on your dog. I volunteer at an animal shelter, and I have seen this happen with numerous cats and dogs. We nearly lost one cat that had her kittens aborted, because she refused to eat or drink. All she would do is cry or sleep. Birth provides a normal cycle of hormones for an animal. As well, they are prepared in that time for the instincts of mothering to take place. Upsetting this natural cycle like this can be of detriment to your dog both physically and psychologically. If you don't want this to happen, spay your dog.

• its NOT cruel, its actually more responsible to abort the litter now than bring more mutts into the world, especially since many dogs die during labor.that being said, talk to your vet, MOST vets will do it up to about 2 weeks before delivery. the sooner its done however the easier for the female to recover and the easier the operation is on the vet.PLEASE dont let the sometimes overzealos prolifers make you feel like hell for trying to correct a mistake before it comes worse...there are unfortunatly thousands of puppies being brought into this world every day. if YOU feel ethically ok with aborting this pregnancy, PLEASE do so asap!this question is NOT about ethics, it was a question to ask if it can be done and how late is too late...not a pleed to get a lecture from pro-lifers about the evils of abortion.I think youd be doing the right thing by aborting, it leaves more homes open to the other oops puppies comming into shelters every day.from now on, please spay and neuter at 6-8months.Good Luck

• Where are you located? I would love to raise the pups once they are born...I have nursed numerous litters of pups and kittens that were turned away by their mother...feel free to email me if that is something you would consider?? Please, I would love to do that, to give them a chance to survive!! [email protected]