Your dogs life is on the line. He needs to go into surgery.How much money will you draw the line at?

How much money would you be willing to spend on the surgery to the point that one more penny will make you have to lose your best friend?surgery-dog livesno surgery-dog diesno gray area.

Your dogs life is on the line. He needs to go into surgery.How much money will you draw the line at?

How much money would you be willing to spend on the surgery to the point that one more penny will make you have to lose your best friend?surgery-dog livesno surgery-dog diesno gray area....
    General Dog Discussions : Your dogs life is on the line. He needs to go into surgery.How much money will you draw the line at?...

• Your dogs life is on the line. He needs to go into surgery.How much money will you draw the line at?

Your dogs life is on the line. He needs to go into surgery.How much money will you draw the line at? General Dog Discussions
      How much money would you be willing to spend on the surgery to the point that one more penny will make you have to lose your best friend?surgery-dog livesno surgery-dog diesno gray area.

Your dogs life is on the line. He needs to go into surgery.How much money will you draw the line at? General Dog Discussions
    • It would depend on what the surgery was for and what sort of outlook my dog would have after the surgery. If there is an excellent chance of quality life for a year or more, i would pay almost anything if i could afford it (my vet does payment plans, though.) If there was little chance of any quality life or if there was only a chance of just a "decent" life (IE dog would be on meds, almost constant pain, etc) for a year or less, probably would decide to euthanize.I worry more for my dog's quality of life and how much the surgery would help, with cost coming in second.

• I think that is a decision you alone have to make. You can't really allow other people to dictate how you feel and what you do. If you do then no matter what you decide, SOMEONE will find it wrong. If you stick to you guns and do what YOU feel is best, then you will probably find people agreeing with you.Now about your dog,Its a matter of how much money you make, how you feel about life and death, how much pain the animal is in, what type of life it will have: one filled with pain or not..There is no easy answer to this question. You have to look down deep inside of you and decide how YOU feel about it.I adore animals. 3 yrs ago, I had to have a cat put down just 4 days before Christmas.I know how much you love your pet. I've been there.

• Like the first person, a lot would depend on what was going on and what the chances of survival were. Also if the procedure wouldn't leave them with a low quality of life afterwords, etc.I do know that when my lab ended up with a block in his digestive tract, the vet quoted around $2000 if we had to go through the surgery. While they kept him for observation, I went and took out a loan on my car title at the bank. So you know I'm at least willing to shell out that much... (luckily, it passed and we didn't have to go through with the surgery.)

• First of all-I'm expecting thumbs down for this HONEST answer. I love my dog, and do anything I can for him. So here it comes.Depends really on many variables.Age of the dog, is it necessary, are there other options, can i do a different payment, can i take a loan out, what are the negatives? If my dog is 15 with an average lifespan of 12 years AT MOST, I'm not forking over the money.If the surgery isn't REALLY needed-I'm not paying for it.If I can take a loan out or if the vet is willing to help with expenses-I will definitely pay for it.I know people love their dogs and animals just like people, well at least I do. But there are cases where people don't buy medications or operations for themselves if they can't afford it. I would pay for my dog before me-that's all I know.

• I could care less what the cost was...you cannot put a price on my dogs life. I spent $2400 on emergency surgery for my Great Dane and didnt even think twice about it. I would do it all over again!!!

• It all depends on how old my dog is. If he's 14 years old, it would be cruel to put him through a surgery he may never recover from. If that was the case, I'd probably get him put to sleep.

• To me it would be a question of what quality of life the dog would have after any surgery. If it was an illness in an older dog and the prognosis was not good, that would sway my judgment.I have owned 9 dogs and only have one now, most have had to be put to sleep due to age or incurable illness in an older dog.When the day comes to save a young healthy pup with great results, I would pay a huge amount, but as I have never been in that situation, hard to say.If this is something you are dealing with, I am sorry, you need to make your own choice and I hope you are comfortable with the outcome. Sending doggie hugs from mine to yours. Kind regards.

• that's a super tough question! one of my dogs has breast cancer. she's had two surgeries to the tune of 800.00. i've drawn the line only because the lumps reappear soon after surgery, she's 10 years old and she suffers so from anxiety when she's at the vets. she is a blue tick hound and i feel very fortunate to still have her with me.

• One of my mom's aussies was nudged by a telephone repairman's van - to the tune of 3500.00 USD.On the day she was hit (mom had no clue) she had facial abrasions, and nothing more. She was taken to University of Florida's Small Animal Hospital within 1 hour of the injury (takes 45 min to drive there from our house). By day two, she had a huge seroma on her chest, and needed emergency surgery, drain placement, and intensive care. The veterinarian missed the trauma, and hence her coming home on day 1. One month of care later, at UF, and we had a happy senior aussie that gave my mom many more years of joy. I can't put a price on that - i'd gladly give what I had to take care of my 5 dogs. (add that to 11 cats and some smaller pets).Haji, one of mine - ruptured bladder - 1000.00 USD later, and I have an awsome 15 year old dog who lives to die at your feet. It's all up to you, and the value you place on your pets - property, or family. You decide....Regards,PamVeterinary Technician, 17 years, Shelter Worker, owned by 5 dogs, and 11 cats. ;)

• It would depend upon the quality of life my dog would have after the surgery. Something like a c-section, I would do as the dog's quality of life would be excellent after the surgery. GDV surgery would be the same because if the dog lives through the surgery and after the surgery then his quality of life would be good in most cases. Hemangiosarome surgery or osteosarcoma surgery are two that I probably would not subject my dog to as 90% of them die with or without the surgery. The cost isn't as important to me as the outcome and quality of life after the surgery. However, I also have the means to pay for major surgery and advanced medical care for my pets. There are many people who are not as fortunate as I am. Actually there are a lot of grey areas in your question.

• as much as possible. i have only one credit card with a low spending limit that i keep for emergencies like that...and my parents also have one with a much larger spending limit that we save for emergiencies incase soemthing happens to any of our pets. there is no amount of money i wouldn't pay to save my dog or any of my pets for that matter. i would do all that i could to save her. and if she would not have a good quality of life after the surgery then i would end it there and say goodbye. but no amount of money would get in the way of my puppy and me.