how soon before my dog gives birth should i take her to be dewormed and deflead?

how soon before my dog gives birth should i take her to the vet to be de wormed and de flead?

how soon before my dog gives birth should i take her to be dewormed and deflead?

how soon before my dog gives birth should i take her to the vet to be de wormed and de flead?...
    General Dog Discussions : how soon before my dog gives birth should i take her to be dewormed and deflead?...

• how soon before my dog gives birth should i take her to be dewormed and deflead?

how soon before my dog gives birth should i take her to be dewormed and deflead? General Dog Discussions
      how soon before my dog gives birth should i take her to the vet to be de wormed and de flead?

how soon before my dog gives birth should i take her to be dewormed and deflead? General Dog Discussions
    • When a dog is pregnant, you need to be especially careful about giving any medications to the dog. Some might cause pups to be born dead or deformed. The mother dog should always be in very good health PRIOR to breeding including: being dewormed, not infested with fleas, and all vaccines up-to-date. Never vaccinate a pregnant dog. You must wait until AFTER the pups are weaned onto dry food and no longer nursing before the mommy dog can receive any needed vaccines. Ask a reliable vet what flea products can be used on a pregnant dog and be sure to tell the vet how many weeks along the dog is in the pregnancy. Some flea medications cannot be used on a dog near the end of the pregnancy. Worm medication should also be withheld until after the pups are born. If you are concerned about the possibility of the mom having worms, take a fresh stool sample to the vet to have it checked and they can tell you if the dog has none at all or WHAT kind she has, if any, and if it is safe to treat the dog. NOTE: ALL mother dogs carry worm larvae in their muscle tissue and pass it on to their puppies at birth. So, newborn & young pups will usually have worms at some point. So, to keep them healthy, you need to get a good quality worm medication from the vet (not from the pet store) and give to the puppies at 2 weeks, 4 weeks, & 6 weeks of age. You need to give these repeated doses to continue to kill off the larvae that hatches every few days. Strongid or Nemex are good dewormers you can get from your vet. When you are deworming the puppies at these ages, you also need to give the mother a dosage at the same time you are treating the puppies. Always weigh mom and puppies BEFORE each dose and give it according to your vet's instructions as how to measure the dosage. It must be given based on the dog/puppy's weight in order to work. And, never bathe a pregnant dog in flea shampoo since the chemicals in it are too strong for a pregnant dog. If necessary, you can always bathe the dog in regular dog shampoo (not human shampoo), leave it on the dog for 5 - 7 minutes as you continue to lather, then rinse very well. You can drown most of the fleas and the rest you may have to pick off with a flea comb, but at least you are not exposing the mom to harsh flea chemicals during pregnancy.P.S. - It is best to never take a pregnant dog to a grooming salon to be bathed/get a haircut. When dogs are pregnant they can become stressed very easily especially in a strange place with strangers trying to bathe/groom her. Keep her at home in a quiet place away from visitors for the duration of her pregnancy AND birth and for at least 4 weeks after birth so she has the necessary time to bond with her pups. People who do not live in your home should not come in and touch the pups until they have had their first vaccines at 6 weeks of age. These people may transmit parvo or other illnesses to unvaccinated pups prior to 6 weeks of age. Parvo can live on surfaces/clothing/the ground for up to one year and can be carried into your home on other people's clothing/shoes and make your pups sick, possibly killing them. Caring for a litter of pups is not to be taken lightly. Be sure they get their first vaccine at 6 weeks and then 3 more vaccines afterward spaced 3 - 4 weeks apart in order to protect them and keep them healthy. ~Cocker breeder/exhibitor

• This should have been done well before she was bred - most worming and flea medications can cause fetal deformities, spontaneous abortion, and other complications when given while a b!thc is pregnant or nursing. Same goes for vaccinations - everything should have been done at her pre-breeding health screening before she came into heat and was bred, along with tests for STDs and general health. It's really too late to do it now without causing problems with the puppies. You will need to wait until they are weaned to do anything to her and follow the vet's recommendation on how to treat parasites in young puppies.Sorry. Good luck.