What are my non-surgery options for feline megacolon?

Cat's struggled for years with constipation, diagnosed yesterday with severe megacolon/obstipation. I can't afford a $4,000 surgery. We've tried lactulose, miralax, wet food, belly rubs, enemas, manual extraction in the past. Vet doesn't want to do the…

Cat's struggled for years with constipation, diagnosed yesterday with severe megacolon/obstipation. I can't afford a $4,000 surgery. We've tried lactulose, miralax, wet food, belly rubs, enemas, manual extraction in the past. Vet doesn't want to do the…...
    General Dog Discussions : What are my non-surgery options for feline megacolon?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What are my non-surgery options for feline megacolon?

What are my non-surgery options for feline megacolon? General Dog Discussions
      Cat's struggled for years with constipation, diagnosed yesterday with severe megacolon/obstipation. I can't afford a $4,000 surgery. We've tried lactulose, miralax, wet food, belly rubs, enemas, manual extraction in the past. Vet doesn't want to do the latter again as she says she fears popping the intestine (they called this the worst case of impaction anyone in the vet office has seen). Help. Please.

What are my non-surgery options for feline megacolon? General Dog Discussions
    • Ask your vet for payment plans, most if not all vets have plans for people who can't pay for surgery's. Depending on whether your cats old or not, you could even get an elderly discount. Still if that vet doesn't offer a discount for your case, then I would strongly suggest going to a different vet, because most vets realize that surgery options aren't getting cheaper, and economy is low. I just worked with the vet today, and we got a similar case, but with a dog. Owner could not pay for surgery, so they worked out a plan to make the surgery nearly free for owner. Keep in mind, that vets are people who care for animals and will do whatever they can at the end of the day to ensure that an animal leaves them in good health. Generally though, at the point that you've said you and the vet have tried other things in the past, im afraid your options aside from surgery are limited.