4 year old cocker spaniel licking butt constantly, anals already expressed, what could cause this?

my 4 yr old cocker spaniel, dakota, has always had anal troubles. since i've worked in a kennel as a bather, i know how to express anals. i've expressed them almost every other night just to settle him. he's been panting, licking, spinning quickly around…

4 year old cocker spaniel licking butt constantly, anals already expressed, what could cause this?

my 4 yr old cocker spaniel, dakota, has always had anal troubles. since i've worked in a kennel as a bather, i know how to express anals. i've expressed them almost every other night just to settle him. he's been panting, licking, spinning quickly around…...
    General Dog Discussions : 4 year old cocker spaniel licking butt constantly, anals already expressed, what could cause this?...

• 4 year old cocker spaniel licking butt constantly, anals already expressed, what could cause this?

4 year old cocker spaniel licking butt constantly, anals already expressed, what could cause this? General Dog Discussions
      my 4 yr old cocker spaniel, dakota, has always had anal troubles. since i've worked in a kennel as a bather, i know how to express anals. i've expressed them almost every other night just to settle him. he's been panting, licking, spinning quickly around and bitting, and running away from his own butt. i've been apply neosporin and hydrocortisone cream as well. its getting to the point where its all he seems to think about. he's pooping normal, and all else seems normal. no change in food or treats. i've been racking my brain for days and cant figure it out. tonight i put on a makeshift diaper to stop him from getting at himself. any ideas?and i havent take him to the vet yet. i figured its late, i'd ask here first and vet soon as i can make apt. thanks for stating the obvious though. :)

4 year old cocker spaniel licking butt constantly, anals already expressed, what could cause this? General Dog Discussions
    • I'd have your vet check- do you preform an internal expression- where you glove up and insert a finger into the rectum and milk the gland out? or just an external expression?Dogs can grow tumors in the anal gland itself and that can only be found on rectal examthis area is also a hot spot for allergies- causing licking and biting of area- again see a vet

• This may be allergy related. Have you tried switching foods? You should just leave him alone, since sometimes the more the anal glands are expressed, the more they need to be. Maybe if you forget about it, then maybe he will too.