How to keep my cat from using the bathroom outside of his litter box?

I have a male cat who generally goes potty in his litter box, but lately he has been finding random places to go outside of the box. I have found him going on blankets, towels, pretty much anything soft he can reach. I maintain his litter box and change…

I have a male cat who generally goes potty in his litter box, but lately he has been finding random places to go outside of the box. I have found him going on blankets, towels, pretty much anything soft he can reach. I maintain his litter box and change…...
    General Dog Discussions : How to keep my cat from using the bathroom outside of his litter box?...

• How to keep my cat from using the bathroom outside of his litter box?

How to keep my cat from using the bathroom outside of his litter box? General Dog Discussions
      I have a male cat who generally goes potty in his litter box, but lately he has been finding random places to go outside of the box. I have found him going on blankets, towels, pretty much anything soft he can reach. I maintain his litter box and change the litter regularly. When I have caught him in the act I have attempted to scold him but he does not mind me a bit. Are there anyways to properly punish or train my cat to quit using the bathroom in wrong spots?! Any feedback will help!

How to keep my cat from using the bathroom outside of his litter box? General Dog Discussions
    • Male cats that are not fixed often pee outside the litter box to mark their territory. So first of all get him fixed if he isn't already. If this doesn't help see a vet.

• For unspayed cats going outside the box is normal. Do not scold him. Cat's, unlike dogs, react badly to scolding. Punishing him for not using the litter box may worsen the behavior. A better way is to gently pick him up and scratch his paws in the litter box. Also make sure it is kept clean. Some cats won't use a dirty litter box. If he is spayed this could be a sign of infection and he should be taken to the vet.