Can anybody foster animals at their home?

Can just anybody foster a dog at their home?... Like if I went there today and told them I would foster a dog would they let me pick one?And can I rehabilitate wild or exotic animals at my home too? I'd love to foster a opossum or a few baby ones.

Can just anybody foster a dog at their home?... Like if I went there today and told them I would foster a dog would they let me pick one?And can I rehabilitate wild or exotic animals at my home too? I'd love to foster a opossum or a few baby ones....
    General Dog Discussions : Can anybody foster animals at their home?...

• Can anybody foster animals at their home?

Can anybody foster animals at their home? General Dog Discussions
      Can just anybody foster a dog at their home?... Like if I went there today and told them I would foster a dog would they let me pick one?And can I rehabilitate wild or exotic animals at my home too? I'd love to foster a opossum or a few baby ones.

Can anybody foster animals at their home? General Dog Discussions
    • Your local Domestic Animal Services or Wild Life Services will send over an associate to perform a home inspection and a background check with you and interview your neighbors.So be prepared for a lengthy questionnaire and a personality evaluation -- not just you, but any one else living within the home. Also they will perform a surprise inspection on your property.It is always a good idea to volunteer at the local DAS to get a real feel of what to expect by being dedicated for the lives of helpless animals in need.Good Luck.

• Well, yes and no. They'd preform a background check on you, vet references, see who and what lived in your household and if you passed their standards, then you can foster one or more dogs or cats in your home.You can NOT rehabilitate animals, only a licensed professional can do that. There are several reasons for that. You do not have the proper training, forms, licenses, or equipment needed. Not only is it illegal for you to foster wild animals, you can get an insanely large fine or possibly even jail time, depending on the offense and species. I don't mean to sound like a prick, but I have seen well meaning people completely destroy the lives of animals, making them dependent on humans for food, unable to be returned to the wild, and sometimes just completely not properly taken care of. Kittens and puppies and even baby birds are one thing, but finding a injured/infant possum or bobcat and attempting to care for it, that's dangerous.