what will happen if my dog ate apple seeds?

well i left my half eaten apple on the table and my dog ate the whole thing! I read that apple seeds are poisonous to dogs, so im really scared! my dog is an american <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/?s=b3b77ecfc967ca6bf07b9b0e7e6017bae071e50d">bulldog</a>, what will happen

well i left my half eaten apple on the table and my dog ate the whole thing! I read that apple seeds are poisonous to dogs, so im really scared! my dog is an american <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/?s=b3b77ecfc967ca6bf07b9b0e7e6017bae071e50d">bulldog</a>, what will happen...
    General Dog Discussions : what will happen if my dog ate apple seeds?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• what will happen if my dog ate apple seeds?

what will happen if my dog ate apple seeds? General Dog Discussions
      well i left my half eaten apple on the table and my dog ate the whole thing! I read that apple seeds are poisonous to dogs, so im really scared! my dog is an american bulldog, what will happen

what will happen if my dog ate apple seeds? General Dog Discussions
    • I've never heard that apple seeds are bad for dogs. My 14 year old basset LOVED apple cores, including the seeds, and she never had any problems. I wouldn't worry.

• Apple seeds, cherry pits, peach pits, pear pips, plums pits, and apricot pits contain cyanide, which is poisonous. While a few apple seeds may not cause a problem, the effects can accumulate over time if they are given to dogs regularly. Dogs should not be allowed to chew on a peach pit, cherry pit, apricot pit, or plum pit. Chewing can allow ingestion of cyanide. Chewing could also result in the pit being swallowed, causing continuous exposure to cyanide, or could cause the dog to choke. http://lacetoleather.com/fataltodogs.html

• Call your vet and tell him how many seeds he ate, or call the ASPCA poison control number—(888) 426- 4435Children and pets are much more likely to suffer poisoning from eating the seeds than adults.Symptoms of mild poisoning include headache, dizziness, confusion, anxiety, and vomiting. Larger doses can lead to difficulty breathing, increased blood pressure and heart rate, and kidney failure. Reactions can include coma, convulsions, and death from respiratory arrest. There are several treatment options, but the main thing is to limit the absorption of the chemicals from the seeds. Basically, this means it's important to seek immediate medical attention if a child or pet is known to have eaten several seeds. Usually, the plan of action is to pump the stomach or induce vomiting. Antidotes are available, but they are somewhat controversial. If you or someone you know eats a seed or two, don't worry... as I said, your body is well-equipped to detoxify small quantities of cyanide compounds. They naturally occur in several foods. However, if you were wondering whether or not it's true that the seeds and pits are toxic and potentially lethal... yes, apple seeds and cherry pits are poisonous.

• Apple seeds are poisonous to dogs, but it really depends on how much he ate. I don't think a few seeds are going to do any damage, but if he starts acting weird, I'd bring him to the e-vet right away.http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/apples.asp

• Apple seeds have a chemical called cyanide in them,and although apple seeds can be dangerous to dogs,I do not think this should be an issue as it doesnt sound like he/she ate that much to do any damage.Just be a little more careful next time around,and continue to monitor your dog for at least a few hours,if anything out of the ordinary starts to develop,call a vet.

• Your dog is fine. My dog eats acorns, grass, bunny poop, leaves, occasionally a small rodent, blueberrys, crab apples, and lots of goofy stuff. And my dog is fine. She eats strange things and has always been fine. Lol your dog will be o.k