How can I get rid of my dog?

I have had my dog, a black Labrador, for about nine years now, and over the years he's just grown progressively intolerable. In his early years he wouldn't stop running away, but I figured that it was normal for a puppy to do so. This continued until he…

How can I get rid of my dog?

I have had my dog, a black Labrador, for about nine years now, and over the years he's just grown progressively intolerable. In his early years he wouldn't stop running away, but I figured that it was normal for a puppy to do so. This continued until he…...
    General Dog Discussions : How can I get rid of my dog?...

• Put an ad in your local paper and offer as a free pet. Let them know he needs lots of attention, you may find someone who will care for it.My sister inlaws dog has epilepsy too, it's common with the breed. The dog has to take aspirin and epileptic medication. It's not a pretty sight to see the dog suffer so much. They've had the dog for 13 years now

• You could put him on an ad in the Internet such as www.petfinder.com It would seem inhumane to put him in a shelter as chances are that he may be euthanized. I wouldn't put him down at the vet if he still has life in him. I know some vets or vet technicians can put ads up in their offices for people to see. If possible, try to let your dog live out his life with you as he may only have two or so years left and would probably be happier with you rather than a complete stranger.

• Don't you think this poor dog has spent too much time already with someone who thinks he's "intolerable", some type of ear fungus (apparently untreated). You can't possibly think sending this dog to a humane society would be inhuman!Find a no-kill shelter for this poor dog. You'd be surprised that there are people out there who are willing to adopt older dogs.

• Try doing an online search for Labrador rescue in your area. You could try this site: http://www.geocities.com/kwanyee_leung/rescue.htmlAnd next time you think about getting a dog, please remember the costs and sacrifices associated with it. Pets shouldn't be discarded when they become a nuisance or burden. It is a committment for the lifetime of your pet. Or you could try dealing with these problems one at a time. Maybe the three as one problem seem intolerable and overwhelming. Break it down into three problems that can be dealt with individually to make it seem less worrisome. It probably will require sacrifices on your part but I imagine that if you can work this out you'll feel better than if you give up the dog you've had as your pet for 9 years.Look into training your dog to not run away. Fix the situation so that he can't run away -- don't allow him easy access to doors without having a leash on. Then work with your vet to fix the ear fungus. Ask if you can pay for treatment using a payment plan. Explain the predicament to your vet.Some of these answers are real disturbing. I hope those who are whole-heartedly advising her to put the dog down aren't pet owners. Other than having epilepsy -- which is not uncommon in dogs and manageable -- and a ear fungus -- also treatable -- there's nothing to indicate that the dog has lived his full life. Just because a pet starts to cost money for health reasons and needs some time devoted to training doesn't mean it's time to drop if off at the nearest farm or euthanize it.

• The HUMANE SOCIETY is where you need to take him. For unwanted dogs/cats, this is THE best place. They don't put dogs down unless absolutely necessary. They wil work with pets to make them adoptable, find them a suitable home and give them the care and attention they need. Animals are well-kept for by the H.S.The dog pound is where you don't want to take him - they destroy animals if they're not adopted w/i a certain time frame.The H. S. keeps dogs/cats until they are adopted!I'm giving you information first hand, b/c I used to work there and am a full suppporter of the H. S.Get on the net to find a local one near you. Also, you may need to consider a Labrador Rescue, which are affiliates of the H. S., if the actual shelter doesn't have room for him. They can direct you to one of these.I adopted my Beagle from a Beagle Rescue a few years ago. The rescues ALSO keep dogs til they're adopted.I hope this info helps you! I beg of you, please just do NOT just dump your dog! That's what happened to mine (before me) - abused and abandoned. If your pet is in very ill health, you may need to consider putting him down - the H. S. can help you make that decision, too (for free!)GOOD LUCK!!!!! I care!

• I think when you get a dog you get it for life...its your responsibity to take care of him/her until iits time comes naturally.. YOU SHOULD NOT PUT HIM DOWN thats just wrong. My cat had cancer and cost me $5000.00 and i was in school but i took care of her until her last breathing moment. You need to step up to the plate and take care of him !

• There's probably a Labrador Rescue organization in your area. Check out http://www.lrr.org/wiki/index.php.I've had labs -- male and female. Some have been roamers and some not. Like your experience most of them stopped roaming at about 3 years of age. However, it sounds like maybe you're suggesting that he's not roaming now, rather he's just becoming obstinate with age. My labs have also done that. They come out walking and want to go where they want and when they want -- frustrating because at younger ages the particular dog was thrilled to be obedient.Stinky ears with black fungus are also not unusual in dogs -- especially water dogs. If he swims, which most labs live for, he's likely to get some water in his ears. His ears probably don't dry thoroughly and the fungus grows. Use a cotton swap to clean them out periodically to prevent the smell and also to prevent the problem from escalating.Epilepsy I can't speak to. I've never had a dog that had epilepsy but have had labs that get "old dog disease." It looks a lot like what I imagine epilepsy looks like -- falls down and becomes spatially confused. It too is not uncommon as dogs get older and each episode carries a risk of some lasting effect, yet it's just part of getting old. My dogs did not get it at that relatively young age of 9, but rather after the age of about 11 or 12.Regardless, labs are great dogs -- even as they age. He'll probably live for several more years. If treated well, he'll continue to be a loving dog. He's potty trained and not hyper. He already went through his chewing years. He likes to get out on walks, but treasures his time snoozing at your feet. In many ways he's the perfect dog for somebody looking for a good companion for the next few years.Check out the labrador rescue facilitiy nearest you. They might now just the person who is looking to care for your good 'ol boy.

• You should return the dog to the breeder. This is why getting a dog from a responsible breeder is so important. They will be able to tell you if you are making the right choice in a dog and be there for assistance if anything goes bad like this. Chances are that this dog wont be able to go back to his breeder so here is some information on rehoming. Police said Matthew Conklin, 18, Gavin Metcalf, 20, Ronald Airesman and a 17-year-old girl responded to newspaper ad for a free cat in February. Police said the group brought the cat to the basement of Metcalf's home, where they poked it with broomsticks and then allowed a pit bull to kill it.Police said the group videotaped the whole thing. Police who watched the tape said the suspects can be seen cheering during the attack."I was absolutely appalled by what was on the video," said Chief Randy Finkey of the Newville Police Department.Police said they learned of the tape when the 17-year-old girl showed it to a classmate. That classmate notified authorities.Conklin and Metcalf face animal cruelty and animal fighting charges. They are free on bail at this time.Airesman has not yet been taken into custody.http://news.yahoo.com/s/wgal/20060601/lo_wgal/9305091*Have an adoption application. You can get on from any shelter or rescue or on the net. Have potential adopters complete one, have it in your advertisement for a new home. This weeds out undesirable people. * Contact the breeder or place you got the pet from. They should take the pet back regardless of reason but do not expect a refund. * Ask an adoption fee. This fee can cover shots, spay or neuter. It can be donated to the shelter or even returned upon your specifics. *Take the pet to the new home, don't let them pick up the new pet. This way you can make sure the home is safe and the adopters are not lying.*Have the pet altered before leaving you. Free to low cost programs can help.*Have a contract signed. You can have the new adopters sign a contract stating the pet will be returned to you if they cannot keep the pet and the pet will be cared for.*Enlist the assistance of a shelter or rescue. They will do everything above, you just need to be a temporary foster home to your pet while they find it a home. Plus you will need to bring the pet to adoption days. Each shelter/rescue is different please check them.Next, be aware that there are dishonest people who routinely obtain animals by fraudulently answering ads. They are usually very persuasive and friendly. They know all the "right" answers to your questions because they do this sort of thing on a regular basis. Some may even bring their kids along to make you think they are a loving family! So check the new home/owners out well and check referances. When doing a home check of the adopter's home, take someone with you and let other people know the address and landline where you are going, and always have your mobile phone on you. Be careful who you adopt to, so do checks on a potential adopter. Check Vet references on the potential adopter, from a genuine Veterinarian listed in the phone book, and who is registered with the American Veterinary Medical Association. Can we help you keep your pet? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelpArea rescues and shelters can assist you in protecting the animal while rehoming it. Call them and ask for assistance in how to properly re home a pet. Offer them a donation of 150$ or more to take in and foster your animals. Or offer to be their foster home while you both work on finding new owners. Support GYPSY's fight against gaining pets for illegal activityhttp://www.brandypup.com/images/gypsy12_1_.jpeghttp://www.crean.com/kindness/links.html

• You're disgusting. In stead of taking care of your 9 YEAR COMPANION you want to kill him? I had a Black Lab who lived to be 14 and for the last few years of his life he was diabetic and needed two shots daily. He was also on Rimadyll for his hips, which was very expensive and....I am nowhere near to rich. Closer to poverty actually. But I'll tell you this--I would go without food for myself to give my dear boy what he needed. I would've died for him. He and I had the best life together and I'm proud of the fact that I never gave up on him and treated him like a king right up until the minute he died in my arms, April 7th, 2005.You should never be allowed to own another precious soul like your dog. They do have souls you know: and hearts and minds and feelings. Obviously much more of all of the above than you.

• if you love him so much how could you possibly consider giving him up? And, if you love him that much, you should be prepared to make necessary sacrifices to help him. It sounds as if all that boy needs is some basic obedience training and routine veterinary care. If this means you have to cut something personal out of your budget, so be it. You got the dog, now he's your responsibility to care for, even if sacrifices need to be made.

• Post an ad on ww.petfinders.com if you really need to find him a new home. Unfortunately, the dog probably doesn't have much longer to go. 9 years old is getting up there for a dog. It's sad that after 9 years you are just now considering getting rid of him. Good luck with whatever you plan to do. Don't allow anyone of these a** holes make you feel bad either, you need to do what is best for you and the dog. If you cannot afford to properly take care of the dog try to find him a new home where they can financially take care of all his special needs. Don't take him to the humane society, he will probably be put down because of all his illnesses. Try the petfinder.com I have found it very useful.Good Luck

• In your particular situation I would take him to the Vet and send him back to heaven. You don't have the money to care for him. He is old with medical problems. If you take him to a shelter or the humane society who would adopt him if they know the truth? If they don't know the truth, they will return him or do God knows what to get rid of him......He is suffering too. Why make him suffer more? People that are adopting don't want a nine year old dog with health and behavior problems. IF YOU DO NOW IS THE TIME TO STEP FORWARD.

• The right thing to do would be to let him finish hes life out with you.It would be really mean to hand a nine year old dog over to anyone.It just wouldn't work out for the dog.It sounds like your dog has had a hard life and he should be able to finish it feeling loved so I would say let him finish it with you, or put him down because finishing his life being tossed around from house to house is wrong/ I think once someone picks up a dog they shouldnt ever have the right to get rid off them after three years let alone nine .That dog looks to you as family and home.