Has anyone ever heard of a dog with separation anxiety or for that matter claustrophobia?

I had a Chihuahua that seemed like he was both. Or that is what a vet told me when he was young.

Has anyone ever heard of a dog with separation anxiety or for that matter claustrophobia?

I had a Chihuahua that seemed like he was both. Or that is what a vet told me when he was young....
    General Dog Discussions : Has anyone ever heard of a dog with separation anxiety or for that matter claustrophobia?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Has anyone ever heard of a dog with separation anxiety or for that matter claustrophobia?

Has anyone ever heard of a dog with separation anxiety or for that matter claustrophobia? General Dog Discussions
      I had a Chihuahua that seemed like he was both. Or that is what a vet told me when he was young.

Has anyone ever heard of a dog with separation anxiety or for that matter claustrophobia? General Dog Discussions
    • Hi Rebecca, since you mention that you "had" a Chihuahua with these issues and didn't ask for help on how to resolve such a problem, I won't offer that advice and I'll simple answer the question at hand. Yes, dogs can and do suffer from both separation anxiety and claustrophobia. Separation anxiety is more common, especially for dogs taken from their mother too early after birth but there is the occasional case of claustrophobia. In fact, I have a Pug who suffers from it and as such, I haven't gone on a vacation since adopting him because (unless I can drive) - he can't travel. I would bring him with me in the passenger section of the plane of course, but he simply would panic if put in a carrier so - we're both "grounded". :) Have a great weekend!

• dogs typically don't have a fear of small spaces because dens are very closed.My dog has separation anxiety though. If his crate is moved and he is in it he will freak out. He has knocked a tooth out during one of his anxiety sessions.My friend's dog was a mill puppy that also has severe anxiety. Family went on a one day trip during winter and the sitter came to a house with torn couches, completely chewed door, and their dog hiding in the corner with wood stuck in her mouth.