When do I know enough is enough? Should I euthanize my dog?

Mon my dog of 12 yrs was diagnosed with a brain tumor. His front legs are paralyzed. Vet gave him steriods, he is sitting up now sometimes but still has no use of front legs. He just lays around and shakes. He is my baby and it's breaking my heart. BUT I…

Mon my dog of 12 yrs was diagnosed with a brain tumor. His front legs are paralyzed. Vet gave him steriods, he is sitting up now sometimes but still has no use of front legs. He just lays around and shakes. He is my baby and it's breaking my heart. BUT I…...
    General Dog Discussions : When do I know enough is enough? Should I euthanize my dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• When do I know enough is enough? Should I euthanize my dog?

When do I know enough is enough? Should I euthanize my dog? General Dog Discussions
      Mon my dog of 12 yrs was diagnosed with a brain tumor. His front legs are paralyzed. Vet gave him steriods, he is sitting up now sometimes but still has no use of front legs. He just lays around and shakes. He is my baby and it's breaking my heart. BUT I dont want him to suffer. I don't know what to do....

When do I know enough is enough? Should I euthanize my dog? General Dog Discussions
    • The hardest part about euthanizing a dog is that we don't want to let go. I think this dog will suffer more if you don't euthanize him. Nobody here can make this decision for you but my advice would be to give him one last day of love and then euthanize him. There is no point in prolonging his suffering as well as yours.

• Is he in real, physical pain? Lots of dog have paralyzed legs and use carts, etc. But if your dog is in actual pain (is that what's making him shake?) then it's probably time. I'm so sorry. We went through this with my 16 year old lab a few years ago. I really think we waited too long....the last thing you want to do is make them go through more pain than they should have to.

• when his condition of life get's really bad for the dog is when I'd put him down. As long as the dog isn't suffering or in pain, I'll keep him alive. But if he's in pain and I know he's suffering, it would be time.

• It sounds like it's enough. Do your baby the most loving thing you can do for him. He will love you so much for it. I'm sorry you're going through this and I send you my condolences.

• I won't tell you what you should do, but I will tell you what "I" would do in this situation... I would choose to put the dog to sleep and prevent any more suffering. I had a little mixed breed rescue once, he was a wonderful little dog, but finally his kidneys gave out. The vet said they could "flush" the kidneys out and he might get 6 more months, but was unsure how good that 6 months would be for him. I opted not to do that and allowed them to put him to sleep instead. I could not see him suffer any longer and it was the right choice in my case.

• I am so very sorry to read about your dog. I know it is heart breaking. I had to have my dog euthanized recently. If he is uncomfortable it's probably time. Shaking isn't a good sign. It's time to hug him and love him and tell him he was a good dog then take him to the vet. It's painful but unfortunately our beloved pets never last as long as we want them to. (I'm crying for you)My thoughts are with you.

• My heart breaks for you. This is a very hard decision to make, but I think you know in your heart it's time to let go. There comes a time when we have to take into account the quality of life over the quantity of life. If he's just laying around and shaking my friend there is no quality. he's exisiting, but not living.I think it's time for lots of hugs and final words and then take him for that last car ride. I know this is not what you want to hear, but you do know it's the right thing for him even though it will hurt so very bad. He's telling you in his own way that it's time.I'm so very, very sorry. May God watch over you and your dog at this very difficult time. We all have some wonderful friends who will welcome your dog and keep him company at the rainbow Bridge until you meet again. I truly know how you feel as I have walked in your shoes and I have tears streaming down my face as I type. No one can decide for you what to do, but I think you already know.God bless you both

• When my dog was in the late stage of his disease, my vet told me to consider his "quality of life" as a form of pain when making the decision to let him pass peacefully.I had always said to myself though "but what if my dog has a will to live still?? how can i take that from him??" So I said, I'd wait until he stopped eating. But he did not die peacefully, a vet tech told me they rarely do. Looking back, I'd have let them put him to sleep.This always brings tears to my eyes but also comforts me, on this card I got from my vets office called 10 commandements for dog owners, the last one says"When I am old, or when I no longer enjoy good health, please do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having fun. Just see to it that my trusting life is taken gently. And be with me on that difficult journey when it's time to say goodbye. Never say 'I just can't bear to watch'. Everything is easier for me when you are there. I will leave this earth knowing with my last breath that my fate was always safest in your hands. I love you."

• I have had to put several animals to sleep over the years, and you just know. I would suggest looking into his eyes and soo what he tells you.A more scientific way I look at it is if they are enjoying more of the day than not enjoying it - keep them alive. But if the animals is not himself, despressed and not enjoying his regular activities - you should go to the vet.All the best - my heart goes out to you.

• I'm sorry about your dog. You have to look at his quality of life. Sure, he may be able to sit up, but can he run around and play? If it were me, I think I would end it peacefully. Ask the vet if you can hold him while he gives him the shot. Tell him how much you love him and hold him tight. In just a few minutes, he'll be up in heaven, running and playing and having a good 'ol time. He'll also be keeping an eye on you and will be there waiting for you when it's your turn to go. My heart goes out to you. Good luck!

• I am very sorry your dog is so sick. What I would do is I would ask my vet if the dog is in any pain (with the medication). I would not want to see my dog suffer either, so I'd take him to the vet regularly, and watch for signs that the dog is in pain. If the pain gets bad, I would then ask the vet to put him down. I know it will be very hard, but I'm sure your dog has given you 12 great years, and he knows you are doing what's best.Good Luck.

• I think you know what to do but it is really hard letting go. It sounds like you have done everything you can to help him but you need to avoid him suffering anymore. You need to be brave enough to accept that his welfare is the most important thing and it is time to let him go quietly and with some dignity rather than hanging on to the bitter end.I went through this not long ago with Molly my yellow Lab it is not easy and it still hurts but I knew she had being through enough and could take no more. Be brave and say goodbye.

• Some times our pets hang on longer because they are trying to be here for us. You need to tell your dog he has been a good boy and that it is okay for him to go now. Then take him to the vet and help him out of his body. They try to hold on just as much as we do. I know it is a sad thing to go through. Good luck to you, maybe your dog will come back to you through another pet later on in life.

• Euthanasia is a very difficult thing for everyone. It sounds like it is time though. When there is nothing left to do for the dog, you just have to end the suffering. Know that the first 11 years of your dog's life were good years, and that you've done everything you could do for him. All you can do now is ease his pain, and remember all of the good times you had with him. My thoughts are with you.

• This is the hardest decision a pet owner will ever have to make. We had to do it ourselves back in May of this year. My husband and I were devastated. Our sweet shih-tzu, GiGi was 13, and suffering. We had to get past being selfish and wanting her around forever and do what was best for her. It literally broke my heart when we let her go. I am crying now as I write to you. I loved her so very much, but we could not bear to see her suffer. Her last two days, she could not even sleep, or even lay down, and had quite eating and drinking. That was how we knew it was time. I am so sorry your baby is suffering, and I wish I could reach out and give you a hug. If your baby does not have quality of life, it is time to let him go, no matter how hard it is. I keep GiGi's ashes in a small urn on a desk with my favorite picture of her in our living room, and I am somehow comforted by the fact that she is still with me. I miss her terribly, but I know she is no longer in any pain. You have to do what is best for him. We were also lucky in that we have 2 other little dogs, so it helped us in some way. God bless and best of luck to you. Have strength to let him go when the time is right.

• I hate to say this because I know how you feel...this is the hardest decision anyone has to make but I think it's time to let him go. I am so sorry...Bless you and bless himRemember All dogs go to heaven

• The hardest thing you'll have to do is make the decision to euthanize him. My last dog I had euthanized, I owned for 11 years, and she had conjestive heart failure. I knew she was suffering, and I knew that it wasn't worth it to put her through more medicine, and more pain. She would lay around and sigh, and stuggle to get up. And it broke my heart, and that's how I knew. When you know they are suffering, putting them to sleep is the kindest thing you can do. I'm very sorry...