What Are The Plus And Bad Sides Of Breeding My Dog?

I have a female Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and im thinking about breeding her. Ive got a friend nearby who has a male of the same colour to father them. However many of my other friends have told me its a lot of work. What i want to know is. What are…

What Are The Plus And Bad Sides Of Breeding My Dog?

I have a female Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and im thinking about breeding her. Ive got a friend nearby who has a male of the same colour to father them. However many of my other friends have told me its a lot of work. What i want to know is. What are…...
    General Dog Discussions : What Are The Plus And Bad Sides Of Breeding My Dog?...

• make shore u have anough space and necesary stuff like containers for food and u need a lot of time

• It is a whole lot of work.. If you don't even consider the care of your girl from the time you breed her til the time she is ready to whelp. You have 10 weeks of puppies in your house. The first couple of weeks you have to watch them almost constantly to make sure that she doesn't lay on them, to make sure that they are all eating well and thriving. She'll clean up after them for the first couple of weeks, and if you are lucky, will continue to clean up til they start eating dog food.. But they still pee in the whelping box, and blankets and sheets etc need to be changed at least a couple of times a day. The laundry is phenomenal...You need to start when they are born, picking them up, touching them, teaching them that people are good, and they can and will touch them on their feet, tails etc.. You want to get them used to everything. You want to teach them that people are nice and hands mean love.You have to spend A LOT of time with the puppies, you have to introduce them to all those things that they are going to meet up with when they go to new homes. Normal house sounds, other dogs, cats, kids, people.. You have to get those puppies used to everything. You have to start them on their house training, you have to get them crate trained.You have to introduce them to food, and drinking water.. You have to take them to the vet, to be wormed and vaccinated. You have to talk to hundreds of people, and find perfect homes for the puppies. You have to write up a contract, to make sure that they bring the puppy back to you if something happens, instead of dumping it in the shelter.. You have to check people out thoroughly to make sure that they are being honest and will take care of the puppies. You will not sleep very much at all those 10 weeks.. By the time they are 6 weeks of age, you will wonder if you will ever sleep a full night again... And the fun is just beginning.. By the time they leave at 10 weeks, you will finally be able to sleep.This is if all goes well..You could have a litter that needs a c-section You could find that mom doesn't want to feed them, isn't producing enough milk and you have to help feed them every 2 hours. You could have puppies that all slowly die one at a time, fading away.. The thing with breeding is.. you don't just want to breed to the dog down the road. If you don' t know his pedigree and what's behind him, you could produce a whole litter of puppies with health problems, genetic defects and other things. You want to have your female evaluated and you want to breed her to the male that is best suited to her.. If she has a low tail you want to breed her with a male with a correct tail.. There are MANY things to take into consideration.You want to make sure you produce the healthiest, best quality puppies you can.. Cause you are responsible to those puppies. It's not fair to them to just breed to the dog up the road and produce sickly puppies.. They didn't ask to be here, and it's not fair that they live a sickly life, a life of pain or discomfort.Not only that, but you are responsible to the puppy buyers.. It's not fair that they buy a sickly puppy that needs thousands of dollars of vet help to keep them healthy or pain free.. If you are not ready to take back each and every single puppy that you produce, don't even think about having the litter.. It doesn't matter if people spent $200 for a puppy or $5000 for a puppy. If they can't / won't housetrain, or teach the dog to not bite, or if it eats their couch, or their expensive boots.. that dog is going to end up at the shelter, or back at your front door.. If you are not prepared to take them back and find them new homes.. Forget the whole deal.. You are producing life, you are responsible for life..

• Here are some links on what is involved in responsible breeding:http://learntobreed.com/http://woodhavenlabs.com/breeding.htmlhttp://dogplay.com/Breeding/index.htmlIt is not a task for the faint of heart. Done right, it is expensive, time-consuming, and sometimes heartbreaking.

• Your friends are very right! Breeding is not only a very hard job but it is expensive too. The first thing is make sure your girl and the stud are all health checked and certified to be free of any genetic problems that will be most apparent in your breed. OFA hips, elbows, eyes and any other health related things your breed is know to suffer from. If all cleared then you can think about proceeding. Do you even know what these genetic issure are in your breed???? You have to find out and make sure your girl and the stud dont carry any. They both must be at least 2 years old! He can not be bigger than she is. If he is than her chance of her not being able to free whelp is very high. Then a c-section is to be planned. You need to find out.Taking care of a pregnant dam is a job also to make sure she is eating correctly and is not gaining too much weight too quickly. At about 45 days a x-ray should be taken to see how many pups she is caring. This way you will not be too surprised when she starts to whelp and this will also help determine if she can free whelp too. Setting up for mom and pups is costly and you need to have an area that is warm and quiet and a place you can keep your eye on mom and pups all the time. Mom does most of the work in whelping but there are times when you have to assist. If everything goes ok then after whelping you have 24 hours to get mom and pups into the vets for a post whelping checkup. Mom if she is good will take care of the pups and feed them if she isn't than you have to take over and feed the pups every 2 hours and make sure they are getting enough food to eat. You do this by weighing them every day. Can you do this?? Lets say they are all fine and they are now ready to explore their surroundings. By this time mom no longer clean up their pee and poop and it is now your job and also to help feed the pups with a puppy mush. Their area must be clean and kept that way so pups dont get sick in their own pee & poop! Do you have an area to keep them confined??Once they are all set and ready to go to their new home the stud owner will either come and pick his pup out or you have already made other arrangement for his payment for his stud service. Do you know how to do this? A contract must be written and signed by both parties. Also what if your girl only has 1 pup??? What do you do then???Breeding is much more than getting 2 dogs together. It is a commitment of time and effort and expenses too! The likely hood of your making any money is slim after all the vet bills, food, and AKC registrations for the pups & what every else comes up is totaled up.Still want to breed your girl???

• Good - They're great and not really so much work. -They grow quick and will turn you a nice profit. -If you have both the sire and the dame for potential buyers to look at it will be easier to sell all pupsBad - Messy. It would be easiest to have a professional assist with the actual birth, some people may not be able to handle a still born pup or a bad reaction from the dog to its pups. -Puppies need attention. Socialization to humans begins early and constant attention and care will aid in later training of the dogs -Weening pups onto dog food, shots, cleanup, etc.Can be a really great experience, but as a first timer you would want to have help from someone who has done this before, maybe find a website to ask detailed questions to users. I say go for it, it is a great experience.

• Well it you are asking my oppinion on the stuation I would say No don't breed her!Chances are more than 1/2 of the pups are going to end up dead, in a shelther,put to sleep,or not get the attention they deserve and end up out side in a kennel of someones home unwanted before they are 6 years old! The population of dogs and cats are hugely riseing and is causeing over flowing in shelters across America! People give pets to children as gifts and end up unwanted or lost on the street!Plus sides of breeding her is the pups will be cute! It isn't worth it!!! Please don't do it!!! It would be selfish!

• Not knowing your dogs, I can't give you any positives. Because, the only "true" positive to breeding your dog is to create a dog that is even more an example of the breed standard than your dog.The negatives, however, are numerous:You need to make sure that both dogs are completely health tested. (Not just a vet visit, but screened for genetic disorders)- you can google the cav breed club for a list of health testing to be done. These test are costly, but are done for the benefit of the breed. You need to make sure both dogs are over 2, as breeding younger can cause other health issues. You need to have a contract written up of what you expect from your future puppy owners, and what they can expect of you. (This can protect you against frivolous lawsuits)- you will need to hire a lawyer for this, because if the contract doesn't follow the letter of the law, it is void. You need to make sure you have families lined up for the puppies BEFORE you breed, not after. You need to make sure you have a whelping box built. You need minimum of 4 weeks of vacation time from work (8 weeks is better) to stay at home and raise the pups- they will need constant cleaning- plus, there are things you can do to/with/for the puppies during that 8 weeks that will make them happier, healthier, and better socialized when they go to their new home. You need to make sure you have money saved back for a possible c-section (or other complications)- plus money to have the puppies vet checked and get their first shots and wormed. You also need to be sure that you are prepared, mentally, physically, emotionally and financially to care for any pup that has a serious genetic disorder and can't be sold to another home.Hope this helps.

• Ok sweety. I love the cavalier so I will be nice for once.. I bred my dogs for years, But I also showed my dogs. They all had health checks 3 months before I bred them. They all had their genetic testings done. For one female to be bred I looked at tons of males until I found one worthy of her. I drove 400 mls to breed her to him and paid well lots. I got one puppy out of her that i thought would get champions... well sadly no that did not happen, she had a fault in her gait. I bred several other times, but sadly no. Ok so you are not breeding for a champion dog.. You want to have puppies right. they are so cute and sweet and oh you just want some. Pro. they are so cute and sweet and lovable and puppy breath. you get to play with them and (as long as you have buyers and interview the clients and have a contract) they go to wonderful homes and you make people happy yeah. ok Now the CONS: You have the Vet bills, genetic testing, emergency vet bill in case heaven forbid something happens. You then have the puppies born yeah they are here right, you think mom will take care of them oh and then there is the heart break of losing one, or two or the litter cause of inexperience. (breeder and the dog or health defects in puppies). ok so they all live yeah. well then you have cleaning up after them cause once they start eating food mom doesnt do that any more. More vet bills as you have, the worming, and shots and health checks. (oh and did I mention the vet bills with mom before and after the pups are born?)now you are about 2500. in the hole already.. and none of the pups are even sold. Then you add food, and newspapers and a whelping box and evaluations of the pups by a handler (Oh you are not showing). well now you get up there in cost even more. That is if you are not a BYB as people are calling you. Are you going to advertise your puppies? hmmmm where to do that? paper, internet?Do you have a mentor? oh and did you add the cost of the stud into that also? Did I mention the mess and smell the training of the pups to use the potty, the noise, the all nighters waiting for the puppies to be born, the all nighters if you have a sick puppy. Know how to bottle feed a sick puppy.. not like a child. You can actually drown a puppy if not done right. Equipment.. heat lamps, whelping box, blankets, snugglers for puppies, formula, bottle, snips, scissors, dental floss, a puppy kit, and emergency kit, ect....cleaning supplies. Ok I dont think that is all either. Breeders dont make anything... when it comes down to it. Unless you have a real purpose for breeding your dog. or you are doing it for the betterment of the breed and that she has her testing done, and she has been evalutated by a reputable handler/evaluator of the breed. you should not breed. (oh and registered with a reputable kennel club.. and can register the puppies with a reputable kennel club)More cons than pro's in my mind. Good luck making up your mind. Oh and it is a lot of work... it is a 24 hour work 7 days a week. I to starred it so you should get lots of answers.

• Good side: nothing for bybs.Bad side: puppies may end up in the pounds due to breeders not screening homes; puppies are not top quality since both sire and dam are pet quality dogs; may have complications during whelping since bybs often don't know anything about breeding. So, please spay your female. She doesn't need to have a litter to be a better pet. Often Cavalier is not easy to breed.

• Negative:Bringing more puppies into the world when there are so many that are homeless.The fear of whether they are really going to a good home. What if they don't sell.the heartbreak of one of the puppies dying.It is hard on the momma.It will take up a lot of your time for 8 whole weeks.chance of bottle feeding then you better hope someone is home constantly to fee the little guys.Positive:Yeah you can make some money but it aint going to make you rich.They are fun and cuteSorry i don't have a lot of positive but i know it is tempting to breed because puppies are fun and cute and it is a great experience to watch the momma dog give birth but the negative i have listed would be enough for me to not do it. My moms dog got my dog pregnant a couple years back so when it came time to give them to new homes it was heart breaking and then i was lucky enough to have found out that the home one of the puppies went to was getting abused so i actually kidnapped the dog and gave him to my in-laws until i could find another home needless to say they ended up keeping him but it breaks my heart knowing that this little puppy went through that abuse. Good luckKW

• I really am so glad you are asking before having the dog bred. Yes, it IS a lot of work, but there are a lot of rewards to breeding responsibly. I am going to include here some of the steps I recommend to anyonew wanting to be a responsible breeder. If you ahve any questiuons, I can help you with, or if I can supply you with good contacts, just drop me an e-mail through my profile.1. Contact a breed club for your breed. Ask for a mentor.2. STUDY the breed standard. Learn about dog anatomy and ask your mentor toclarify anything you don't understand.3. Learn what genetic faults and diseases run in your breed and test for anythat can be tested for.4. Show your dog in conformation events to see if it is of the properquality for breeding. Winning doesn't always mean a dog is breeding quality,but being around so many others that know your breed and will talk to youwill do wonders for your self-education efforts!5. Study the past history of great dogs in your breed. You will see how yourbreed has improved and progressed since the beginning of the breed.6. Study the breed standard some more! ;-)7. Join any Yahoo groups about your breed.8. Live, dream and study your breed.9. Get a good book on canine reproduction, and educate yourself about thepitfalls, problems, and proud moments of breeding. Learn about thephysiology of reproduction, such as heat cycles and venereal diseases indogs, potential for problems specific to your breed, and what you need toexpect at whelping.10. Remember that whelping (giving birth) can kill your female. Being usedas a stud dog can encourage bad behaviors common in intact males such asterritorial marking, aggression, and desire to roam from home.11. Prepare to be broke. Breeding properly is EXPENSIVE.12. Line up potential homes for any puppies you produce and write up acontract. Remember to include that you will be willing to take back yourpuppies at any time in their lives that they might need you. If you bringlife into this world, it is your responsibility FOREVER.13. Prepare to spend sleepless nights attending whelping females, caring forfading puppies or puppies orphaned, and practice cleaning up after 24/7 poopmachines.I'm sure there are many things I missed because being a responsible breederisn't just a job. It's a way of life. You will live dogs. 24/7/365. Thereare lots of hard decisions. There is a lot of expense. There will be pain.But, if you do your darndest to always keep the welfare of your dogs and thefuture of any of their offspring, you can go to step 14.14. Enjoy the love and success of a job well done.