How do I teach my dog to ignore other dogs that are barking at him?

Your dog will not ignore other dogs. However, you can teach your dog not to respond to the other dogs. He will always be aware of them, but that doesn't mean he has to act on that. It depends on what type of dog you have, but most dogs are very pack…

Your dog will not ignore other dogs. However, you can teach your dog not to respond to the other dogs. He will always be aware of them, but that doesn't mean he has to act on that. It depends on what type of dog you have, but most dogs are very pack…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I teach my dog to ignore other dogs that are barking at him?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I teach my dog to ignore other dogs that are barking at him?

How do I teach my dog to ignore other dogs that are barking at him? General Dog Discussions
      Your dog will not ignore other dogs. However, you can teach your dog not to respond to the other dogs. He will always be aware of them, but that doesn't mean he has to act on that. It depends on what type of dog you have, but most dogs are very pack oriented and will need to investigate when they sense another dog around. Some things you can do:Socialize the dog around other dogs. Take him to a dog park or to a friend's house with other dogs and monitor behavior. He has to be used to being around dogs to build trust. Teach the dog tricks. This will help in all areas of dog behavior. When he knows how rewarding it is listen to you and do what you ask, then he will do it more often. Right now he is doing what comes naturally and protecting you. Use sound as a divergent. I use a small 'hey!' type of exclamation. and my dogs stops doing whatever it is I don't like. Dogs a re VERY responsive to sound. Put some change in a can and rattle it when your dog is doing something you don't like. clapping or a very loud whistle (like with your fingers) also works. Immediate discipline: As sooooon as the dog starts doing something you dislike, you have to respond. First say "No" or "down" or whatever you are wanting very firmly. If he doesn't do it the first time then you will have to go over and stop the behavior and say it again firmly. Do not let your dog make you say no twice. If you say come and it takes a couple of times before he does it you have to stop that. Say it once and then go get the dog. It will learn that your aren't playing around and that it does not have a say. Patience is key. Nothing is overnight with a dog. But remember it is a dog. It isn't going to hate you for responding in this way. It will become very attached to you.Try the above ideas though and I'm sure the dog will quit. Mine did.

How do I teach my dog to ignore other dogs that are barking at him? General Dog Discussions
    • Body block. If he shifts to the right so do you. You follow his moves. This is how I thought my territorial chihuahua to do it. I say "if they can't see it, they can't bark."

• You make your dog watch you as you beat the shit out of the dog that's barking at your dog. You beat the dog until he/she no longer can bark and then you tell your own dog "It's okay because I'll protect you"

• Im taking my dog to mexico this summer vacation and my grandma has her own dog but its tied up and always barks at dogs. My dog comes when I call him but he doesn't really ignore dogs that are barking at him. How do teach to ignore him and other dogs?

• You put him on a leash (if not already on one) and you keep the leash really tight. When he barks you quickly pull back on the leash, then release. Eventually he will get it.