How rare are red akita inus (dog)with white face masks?

my family is lookinf into buying a akita dog but we want a red one with a white face mask... how rare are they? am i likely to find one in california?

my family is lookinf into buying a akita dog but we want a red one with a white face mask... how rare are they? am i likely to find one in california?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How rare are red akita inus (dog)with white face masks?...

• How rare are red akita inus (dog)with white face masks?

How rare are red akita inus (dog)with white face masks? Dog Breed Discussions
      my family is lookinf into buying a akita dog but we want a red one with a white face mask... how rare are they? am i likely to find one in california?

How rare are red akita inus (dog)with white face masks? Dog Breed Discussions
    • CoatDouble-coated. Undercoat thick, soft, dense and shorter than outer coat. Outer coat straight, harsh and standing somewhat off body. Hair on head, legs and ears short. Length of hair at withers and rump approximately two inches, which is slightly longer than on rest of body, except tail, where coat is longest and most profuse. Fault--Any indication of ruff or feathering.ColorAny color including white; brindle; or pinto. Colors are rich, brilliant and clear. Markings are well balanced, with or without mask or blaze. White Akitas have no mask. Pinto has a white background with large, evenly placed patches covering head and more than one-third of body. Undercoat may be a different color from outer coat.California Mojo AkitasStacey BorrmannGilroy, CA 95021 408-842-4140Sunrock AkitasDebra & Roy AnibalAguanga, CA 92536951-763-1019Hyojun Akitas Robyn & Larry La CourseWatsonville, CA 95076831-687-4203 day831-722-3121 evening831-685-6629 faxMinda Akitas Francee Hamblet & Hollie Walker Mount Shasta, CA 96067530-926-4968530-925-1339Remember don't pick a dog based on it colour, termperment and energy requirement are much more important that they match your lifestyle. You may find the pup or dog of the perfect colour, but the wrong temperment for your lifestyle.

• To my knowledge, it's not all that rare at all. If you're going the breeder route, don't go to one that breeds specifically for color, as that's more then likely not a good choice. Pick a good breeder, and discuss what you want with them. They may have it, or they may be able to refer you to someone that has one, etc... On a side note, don't pick a dog JUST for color. You should pick a dog for temperament THEN appearance. Picking a dog just because it has pretty marks, etc... can be a mistake waiting to happen, as you may get the puppy home and realize that it's pretty, but has a HORRIBLE personality that doesn't work with your family, lifestyle, etc...

• Most red American Akitas will have the black mask. If you want the red face/white mask combo you will have to get a Japanese Akita. In the US (and Canada, I believe), there is only 1 akita breed. Everywhere else, there is the American Akita which is heavier and comes in any color, and the Japanese Akita Inu, which only comes in red, brindle, and white. The red and brindle must have the white mask/undersides. There aren't too many Japanese Akita breeders in the US...believe me, I have been looking. Some breeders will cross the two. Try Sunrock Akitas or Hanko Akitas. Those are two that I have found that have Japanese Akitas.