Will my adult dog get parvo if my puppy has it?

I have a 3 year old dog and a 9 week old puppy. My puppy is really sick and is currently at the vet's office getting tests done including Parvovirus. I heard that Parvo can stay in your house from 6 months to a year. If the Parvo test comes back…

I have a 3 year old dog and a 9 week old puppy. My puppy is really sick and is currently at the vet's office getting tests done including Parvovirus. I heard that Parvo can stay in your house from 6 months to a year. If the Parvo test comes back…...
    General Dog Discussions : Will my adult dog get parvo if my puppy has it?...

• Will my adult dog get parvo if my puppy has it?

Will my adult dog get parvo if my puppy has it? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 3 year old dog and a 9 week old puppy. My puppy is really sick and is currently at the vet's office getting tests done including Parvovirus. I heard that Parvo can stay in your house from 6 months to a year. If the Parvo test comes back positive can my 3 year old dog get it? What can I do to prevent it?

Will my adult dog get parvo if my puppy has it? General Dog Discussions
    • If your three year old has his shots up to date, including parvo, he'll almost certainly be fine. otherwise, he's a very good chance of getting it unless you get his vaccination boosters immediately. If you're not sure, your vet can do blood titres to check whether he's safely immune or not (although these are more expensive, so unless you have good reason to want to avoid vaccinating your dog, eg. allergies to vaccines, you're best just to stick with the vaccinations.

• actualy parvo virus can survive in the enviroment for up to 5 years! so if it is u had better disenfect your whole house!!!!yes your adult can get it, it iw has been vaccinated it wount get it as bad as if it isnt vaccinated.To prevent keep your adult away from the pup and any place the pup had been. and disenfect your hands and change cloths after being around your pup it it is comming home while being treated but it would be best for your adult dog if the pup stayed at the vets untill it is all better.Good Luck

• Your adult dog could get it if it is not up to date on its vaccinations. Ask your vet if vaccinating your dog now (if it is not up to date) could help prevent infection. This is why getting vaccines on time is important.

• well if your 3yr old dog has not been vaccinated for parvo yes he can get it. if he has been vaccinated for parvo than no he cant. bleach will kill the parvo virus so make sure you clean your house really good before the puppy comes home.

• If your 3 year old dog is not vaccinated then he probably will get it if that is what the puppy has. Even a vaccinated dog has the chance of getting it...no vaccination provides 100% protection, but when vaccinated the chances of contracting the virus are minimal. Some people are telling you that if you think your dog was exposed to take him to the vet right away to get his booster, but that won't help. Once exposed to the virus, the vaccination will not prevent the disease. If he has already been exposed then he basically has the parvo virus but is not showing clinical signs yet. By the way I am a pre-vet student...though not a vet yet, I have taken classes and this is what I've learned from the vet instructors.