How long does it take a dog to have puppies?

My small chihuahua is going to have puppies and I'm scared because I dont know what to do once they're born.

How long does it take a dog to have puppies?

My small chihuahua is going to have puppies and I'm scared because I dont know what to do once they're born....
    General Dog Discussions : How long does it take a dog to have puppies?...

• You could1) look it up online.2) go to the vet and ask them. the doctor should keep you informed. Once they are born. if they are born at your house. put them in a big area size box (sides not so tall) with blankets and/or towels at the bottom.Make sure that the newborns stay warm.

• Clearly this is something you should know already. You're absolutely right to be scared. It's probably the only sensible thing related to this breeding you've done. The average gestation in dogs is 63 days. If you know the date of the first tie then start counting. If you're also clueless (sorry) about that, then I assume you only know that she's pregnant because she's showing. That can mean either you still have a few weeks left or she can whelp at any time. Do your girl a BIG favor. Use whatever time you have left, be it weeks, days or hours & start learning about whelping & both basic & emergency care of the pups. Most dogs choose to whelp at the most inconvenient times & that means you may end up rushing her to the emergeny clinic at 1 am for a c-section & hopefully you won't lose your bitch & her litter. Chihuahuas do not routinely whelp easily and that means you need to know everything possible to know what the warning signs are that she's in trouble, what you can do to help if anything, and when to get her to the vet. Whelping supplies are costly and you're going to need a lot of stuff on hand (including a goat's milk formula for pups that won't nurse) to give those newborns the best chance possible. Good luckADD:Amazing that the only "thumbs up" to this post is the only one not offering an answer to the question, but thinks that this pregnant bitch who can very well die during whelping is a happy occasion.

• Most dogs if carring a large litter can deliver pups at 56 days after conception,but the uual length is 63 days from conception.Some dog can stay in labor many hours,but most are finished within 4 to 5 hrs.On the day of delivery you may notice your pet will refus4e to eat and try to find a quiet hiding place.They will usually have a lite discharge which should be clear.Upon the beginning of labor,you will notice the pet bearing down with contractions,after she starts bearing down,a pup should be expelled within 45 minutes to 1 hr..Don't panic if a bag of fluid pases before a pup ,as this is normal and the bag of fluid is clearing the way for a pup.After pup is born,be sure the Mom starts cleaning the head area first and if not you should remove the bag of fluid from the face or pup will drown within seconds. Wipe the nose and mouth area with a clean cloth,then allow the Mom to finish the job.

• The average pregnancy for a dog is 63 days. Look up Whelping areas.. this is an area you have set up with a blanket or towels in a box like area to make it look like a den. Hopefully she will understand what it is and will go there to have her pups. if she doesn't go there (like mine did) leave them in the spot they were born for a few days before moving them to the prepared spot. The only time you should move them right away is if she had them in an area that is unsafe..like a high traffic area in your house, ie the front door. Make sure to have the vets number on hand in case something happens. What to expect when she gives birth. The dog can reduce its food intake up to a week before giving birth. Milk will begin flowing 2-3 days before birth. You should start giving our dog more and higher quality puppy food in the second half of the pregnancy. Increasing the food by 10% each week starting at 5 weeks.8-24 hours prior to giving birth their temp will drop up to a full degree Celsius and return to normal just before birth. Contractions can begin and last from 1-36 hours, average is 6-12, ending with the appearance of a pup. Most will pups will be born within 3-6 hours after the first one, coming 20-30mins apart.

• i could tell you everything you need to know on this website.. but i think it would be better for you to call a vet and ask them EVERYTHING you need to know about your chihuahua having babies. just make sure you no what is going on before a puppy or their mother gets killed. like if she has been in labor too long , if the puppy is stuck , if you need a c-section ,where to put the mom, to open the placenta, how to keep them at the right temp, make sure their nursing, how often to check in on the pups exc exc exc. their is alot you need to know.. and realize this is a huge responsibility esp. for a dog that small. but.... i hope they all come out safely and you enjoy them!! :)))