What is the best reasons NOT to buy a puppy as a Christmas gift?

Well, since Christmas is coming up and people are going to want that "cute little puppy" for Christmas, lets list the major reasons that getting a puppy for Christmas is a bad idea!What do you all think?You guys are WONDERFUL!!! I love all of the great…

What is the best reasons NOT to buy a puppy as a Christmas gift?

Well, since Christmas is coming up and people are going to want that "cute little puppy" for Christmas, lets list the major reasons that getting a puppy for Christmas is a bad idea!What do you all think?You guys are WONDERFUL!!! I love all of the great…...
    General Dog Discussions : What is the best reasons NOT to buy a puppy as a Christmas gift?...

• a dog is not just for christmas its for life. the child that is getting it may be overwhelmed and die. joking i know that wasnt very funny but hey! like someone else sed 1.over population2. christmas is to hectic and when the dog gets older and doesnt run around or like to be carried around or CANT be carried around the novelty may wear off and the dog will feel unloved.

• 1. Wrong time of year to get a dog. Kids are in school, people go on vacations, it is a difficult time of year to potty train a dog with it being so cold and snowy outside. 2. Getting a dog involves a ton of research: what breed is appropriate for the family? What does that particular breed need? Is there enough room for this dog? Is the yard fenced in? 3. People who buy dogs on a whim tend to just go to a pet store and pick out the cutest one. There is a whole bunch of reasons why you shouldn't get a dog from a pet store. I can nearly guarantee that a dog from a pet store will cost more money (if not for the price of the dog, then for the cost of medication and vet bills to get the puppy to recover from one of the highly contagious diseases they tend to get when exposed to a hundred other dogs)4. All the kids Christmas gifts get chewed up by the puppy!5. It is embarassing to have to clean up puppy pee in the middle of Christmas dinner with the family.

• Some people think buying a puppy for christmas as a present is just well "Buying a Puppy"Just feed it, bathe it, water, walk, play but what people don't realize is you can't just buy and give someone a puppy withoutA: Researching the breedand B: Do you even know if your child or any other person is going to like it?I know its nice to surprise someone with a cute little puppy but you need to take it real serious and do allot of thinking and researching before you just pick up a Pup and give it as a present. Allot of problems come up when they have chosen the wrong dog.

• 1)It is a very stressful and hectic time. 2)among all the chaos the dog may be forgotten about.3)there are many hazards:chewing christmas lights, glass bulbs, poinsettias, christmas trees, ribbons, small toys being dropped, dog getting stepped on with all the commotion.4)lots of commotion in the house, no time to care for a dog5)no time for the dog to adjust to the new environment6)A lot of times a christmas puppy isn't something that someone took a lot of time and researched, they bought the cutest puppy at the pet store and thought they were doing a good thing.

• Aside from the obvious issues that go along with the well known bumper sticker slogan "A puppy is for life, not just for Christmas"....there are other safety concerns as well- puppy proofing the house is hard enough when its not the holidays- a pine tree full of shiny things poses numerous hazards- water filled bowl full of toxic pine needles, electric cords draped all over the place, glass and plastic ornaments that can be chewed up and ingested, etc. Plus the less obvious, like extra people zipping in and out of the house, potentially leaving doors open, risk of puppy getting stepped on, run over, etc, ribbons that can be chewed up and injested....nothing like spending Christmas night at the emergency vet....Personally, I don't think anyone should be given a puppy as a surprise gift at any time of year, its almost as much of a commitment as someone giving you a surprise baby- "Happy Birthday, I got you an infant- enjoy it for the next 18+ years"

• I could list 100, but here are 3:1.Because someone giving a "gift" of a puppy or dog may not realize that the receiver does NOT want or is not ready for a puppy at all for many reasons. 2.Giving a puppy as a gift to someone may degrade the value of a dog's life...the receiver may see the dog as an object rather than the living, breathing, feeling being he/she is.3.The dog given to the receiver may not be the right kind of dog for them. Maybe they need a Chihuahua when you got them a Great Dane.

• O’er the twelve days of Christmas, my puppy gave to me ...12 sleepless nights11 bouts of barking10 chewed-up cushions9 hours of whining8 angry neighbors7 landlord warnings6 vet appointments5 golden stains4 daily walks3 upchucks2 garbage spillsand a big rip in my upholsteryPuppies require a lifetime of love, patience, and understanding. Please don’t give puppies as presents.

• Just like the Barbie Dream House, the puppy will soon be forgotten...People don't realize the work involved, so the cute little puppy comes home for Christmas with a big red bow around it's neck, then is forgotten about and ends up in a shelter or rescue because the people just didn't think that it would be as much work as it's turned out to be.

• Speaking as a person who is getting a puppy for Christmas - I might sound hypocritical but...it's not a good idea to get a child a puppy for Christmas. You see the cutest new puppy trend out there (puggles, labradoodles - whatever) and you think what a great gift without realizing that you will probably get stuck doing most of the work. You should really be prepared at least a few months ahead of time to be sure that you and they can handle it - so no surprises can be had. Also so many dogs get put in shelters after Christmas because of this - I would just wait. I'm an adult and know what I'm getting into so it's all good.

• Puppies are living, sensitive, sentient beings who will require a great deal of time, effort & responsibility, not to mention money. You cannot possibly know if your gift recipient is truly ready to make this sort of commitment. A truly healthy dog can live as long as 27 years. Is your friend ready for that sort of committment? Also, every single dog is different and every breed is different as well. To make this gift is to make a decision that will affect owner and pet alike. One reason why so many shelters and pounds are full of unwanted dogs is because of unprepared people purchasing or receiving them in the first place. The best way to bring a new dog into the home is for the prospective owner to hook up with a responsible breeder who can interview them and find the best puppy for them and their situation and thus find the best new home for that little puppy.

• First reason... you never know how people is going to react in front of this situation... getting a puppy is like having a baby and you don´t know if they're going to be good parents.. there is a lot of people who don't care about animals and if they don't want a puppy the just open the door and get them out of they're houses to the street.

• well the holidays r a very hectic time for both people and animals. when u get a person a puppy as a gift they have the sudden flash of "ooo its so cute i will love it forever" but as they keep looking at their new gifts and the hype of the puppy wears off then the next day puppy goes to the pound. and even if a person is really serious about the dog they didnt get what they wanted. if u really want to give a dog as a gift go to the shelter and buy a gift card (yes shelters sell gift cards) for the amount of the adoption fee and then give it to the person so they can go pick their own dog that way they can do it when they arent busy and they can get what they want

• the best thing to do is go to a shelter and find the perfect doggie there.... It's not that getting a puppy is a bad idea just don't get one from a breeder.. I think all dogs should be spayed or neutered so they can not have pups themselves... there sre SO many lonely dogs and puppies in the shelter who deserve to have a home of their own.

• Children who are too young to appreciate the responsibility soon lose interest in the dog and the parents end up being the primary care giver. If you are willing to take the responsibility of the dog after your child loses interest, or whomever you give it to, then have at it. Otherwise, you will end up cleaning up after it and making sure it gets its daily walk and learns how to socialize with the rest of the world.

• I think it is horrible that you guys think its not a good Idea! Not in a mean way though! I am a kid (12) I love dogs and I would give it the best care in the world1 I cant have one cause of my bro's allergies, but if I could I would care less about the other presents for I would have a best friend that I didnt put in my closet when I outgrow it, no it would be the best day of my LIFE! I would have the best holiday, my family over to tell them, and most importantly my new best friend! It would be a very special day for me ask a kid!!!!!

• It is such a bad idea, Sure it is going to be new to the person getting the pet. But ........ The newness will wear off in a couple days. There will be no one around to take care of the pets while everyone is out visiting relatives. They will be pushed aside while everyone is busy doing other family things and the pets will not get the care they need. They can get into food, candy, small pieces of toys, lights ,cords and the like left laying around. The person giving the pet will need to make sure the person receiving the pet has all the items it will need to start out with, even the staples such as food, kennel , few toys or litter and litter box. Make sure they will have time for the pet during all the Christmas and New Year festivities. It is just too busy of a time for bring new pets into a household.

• I think christmas is not a good time to get a new dog. It's way too hectic or a young pup, or any new dog for that matter. Really, who do you think is going to spend their holiday cleaning up after a puppy. Most people just want it for the cuteness factor. And usually if it;s a surprise, the reciever of the puppy isnt prepared for a living breathing companion.