Can you humanely euthanize a dog at home?

I bought a puppy last weekend and he is really sick. the prognosis is terrible even with a blood transfusion. i called the lady i bought the puppy from and she won't take him back until saturday (because i live 4 hours away) but the little guy will…

I bought a puppy last weekend and he is really sick. the prognosis is terrible even with a blood transfusion. i called the lady i bought the puppy from and she won't take him back until saturday (because i live 4 hours away) but the little guy will…...
    General Dog Discussions : Can you humanely euthanize a dog at home?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can you humanely euthanize a dog at home?

Can you humanely euthanize a dog at home? General Dog Discussions
      I bought a puppy last weekend and he is really sick. the prognosis is terrible even with a blood transfusion. i called the lady i bought the puppy from and she won't take him back until saturday (because i live 4 hours away) but the little guy will most definitely die before then. he screams out in pain and he's having seizure like episodes. basically he's in so much pain at this very moment it would be more humane to shoot him. the only thing keeping him alive is the medicine and tube feedings. he's been like this for days, and the vet said he will not get better. any suggestions on what to do at home or how to put the little trooper at ease til he passes...and also how not to prolong his suffering.should i stop giving him the meds?SHOOTING WAS A FIGURE OF SPEECH. THE QUESTION SAID "HUMANELY EUTHANIZE" ALL OF YOU WHO THINK I'M GOING TO PULL HIS LITTLE LIMBS OFF OR SOMETHING CAN JUST SAVE IT!

Can you humanely euthanize a dog at home? General Dog Discussions
    • It is so sweet that you are sweet enough to think about not killing it but I think if you asked the vet and the lady if it was ok then I think you should because just put your self in its place and just think how you would feel wouldn't you want someone to take you out of your missery? Do the right thing for him and yourself!

• Whatever you do at home, if you get caught, will be considered animal cruelty. Even if you break his neck and he dies instantly, it will still be taken as cruetly. I just wanted you to know that.However, if worse comes to worse, I would suggest breaking his neck. This is the easiest, cleanest and fastest method.You could also give him 3 or 4 Tylenol PM (or a similar PM pill). The medication will make him fall asleep and, while sleeping, his heart will slowly stop.BUT....these methods are considered animal cruelty. Regardless of how humane doing it may seem.

• Take him to the vet first thing in the morning and see if you can get him some good pain medicine. If you can't, you might need to just have him put to sleep. If you want to do something tonight, there should be an emergency vet open somewhere near you. But remember, an emergency vet will charge at least 2-3 times what a regular vet will.

• well a few options are to get painkillers from the vet...but with the pain he is going thru i would have the vet pt him down...im sorry about the dog...the same thing happened to my rabbit a few years back

• Take him to a different vet. I can't believe your vet would send him home like this, if she knew there was no cure or chance at getting better she should have offered to put him to sleep for you.

• I had the same problem but with a grown dog...It's so sad. The vet asks way too much for euthanizations. My mum took our dog to our friend who said he would be able to shoot him. It was much easier for us. He took him for a walk, talked to him, and shot him while they were walking. Try find someone who wouldn't feel too bad about doing this. If you live in a city it might be hard, but it is much easier for yourself, and you don't have to pay way too much.

• Shooting him at home is called animal abuse. If you care, pay the $25 to have him put to sleep if there is no hope. I, too, adopted a dog from 4 hours away and it was sick. Fortunately, there was treatment available for my dog. Are you giving him nausea medicine? That kind of medicine cause seizures in some cases. My dog had been vomiting with stomach worms and had seizures from the meds. You may not be ready to be a pet owner if you say things like..."this very moment it would be more humane to shoot him." I hope you evaluate that readiness as you are evaluating Fido's future!

• Please just take him to the vet and have the vet do it. It will cost money I am sure but please at least give the puppy the chance to have him put to sleep by doing it the right way.

• Take him to the vet-will cost about $45.00 . The vet will first give him a sedative to to relax the puppy then the 2 shot induces a stroke-Which as you know is painful and the reason for the 1st shot so animals do not feel the heart attack. If the vet told you that he'll not get better then I'm surprised didn't suggest euthanasia. I would also have the Vet put in WRITING exactly what is wrong with the puppy, that he couldn't get bett-and this part is very important you get in writing and that it was merciful to put puppy to sleep-also take a picture of the puppy and the medicine and the feeding tubes for this inhuman lady that sold you the puppy needs to never sell another one for the puppy to be this sick was not cared for by her and was sick already in her care and she knew but evidently didn't care. You need to report her and sue her in court for you'll get back the money you paid for the puppy,the vet expenses and not sure but maybe the angers you felt watching the puppy suffer. There are people who breed puppies and other animals in terrible conditions for all they car about is the money. Please report her for who knows how many more puppies will and already have suffered because of her and you can stop her and prevent more puppies from suffering. No puppy or animal should ever be with her again-please don't give the puppy back to her either but take to vet.

• Have the emergency vet service do it or call any Vet and get them to do it humanely. Even if you have to drive him somewhere, most vets out of decency will euthanize the poor thing. Put it on your credit card or ask to be billed.

• Don't euthanize your puppy..Even if it seems that it would be more humane to shoot him, but i think you better take good care of him till he passes.That's the best way, just do it.

• Hey,Yes you can, a vet can come out and give your dog an injection to put it to sleep quickly, painlessly and it's legal and the best way for any dog to go under those kinds of conditions.Sorry about the loss of your dog,Wolverine_Clawess_26