Can you humanely euthanize a dog at home?

I bought a puppy last weekend and he is really sick. the prognosis is terrible even with a blood transfusion. i called the lady i bought the puppy from and she won't take him back until saturday (because i live 4 hours away) but the little guy will…

Can you humanely euthanize a dog at home?

I bought a puppy last weekend and he is really sick. the prognosis is terrible even with a blood transfusion. i called the lady i bought the puppy from and she won't take him back until saturday (because i live 4 hours away) but the little guy will…...
    General Dog Discussions : Can you humanely euthanize a dog at home?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• how sad! I see this every day though because I work in a vets office. there is no shame in taking him to the VET not at home and euthinizing him. good luck!

• I am speaking in regard of utilizing Tylenol PM.
      I am begging all of you to, PLEASE DON'T DO THIS !
      I saw this take place and the dog fought for hours, until they rushed him to the vet for a much needed death.
      I've heard of another that also wouldn't die and they had to suffocate the dog to get the poor guy outta his misery.
      If a dog has a strong heart, this won't work.
      If this is a big dog it won't work, at least in my opinion.
      I know money can be tight but please try your very best to get to a vet, regardless of the method.
      It's so clean and peaceful.
      God Bless You All.

• moondawg wrote:

I am speaking in regard of utilizing Tylenol PM.
      I am begging all of you to, PLEASE DON'T DO THIS !
      I saw this take place and the dog fought for hours, until they rushed him to the vet for a much needed death.
      I've heard of another that also wouldn't die and they had to suffocate the dog to get the poor guy outta his misery.
      If a dog has a strong heart, this won't work.
      If this is a big dog it won't work, at least in my opinion.
      I know money can be tight but please try your very best to get to a vet, regardless of the method.
      It's so clean and peaceful.
      God Bless You All.
      I would totally agree with @moondawg,

Some of the people think that utilizing a dog is always an easy procedure but in reality when it is not done in a controlled environment with professionals it can be so painful for the poor animal.

Therefore, please consider all possibilities before making the decision.

All the best

• I helped a cat with renal failure pass on when she had frequent grand mal seizures. However I am a pharmacist so I knew the drugs. She was a very old kitty and renal failure is common.
      I used 1 mg of Xanax to stop the seizures in my 8 lb cat. She went into a coma and her breathing slowed down. 2 hours later I gave her a second tablet. She died in total comfort.
      If you cannot do this the vet can do it by injection. They use a barbiturate injected into the heart.
      I had a dying dog and gave her Tramadol to make her comfortable. She died without future action, and was calm.
      I live a distance from vets.
      I also bought a Persian cat for $1000. The breeder told me to have the vet put that kitten down, using a Vet. I got a second kitten who is unhealthy too. I will be a lot more careful before I adopt an animal again. It is heart breaking to watch a pet die.

• Mickeyfin wrote:

I helped a cat with renal failure pass on when she had frequent grand mal seizures. However I am a pharmacist so I knew the drugs. She was a very old kitty and renal failure is common.
      I used 1 mg of Xanax to stop the seizures in my 8 lb cat. She went into a coma and her breathing slowed down. 2 hours later I gave her a second tablet. She died in total comfort.
      If you cannot do this the vet can do it by injection. They use a barbiturate injected into the heart.
      I had a dying dog and gave her Tramadol to make her comfortable. She died without future action, and was calm.
      I live a distance from vets.
      I also bought a Persian cat for $1000. The breeder told me to have the vet put that kitten down, using a Vet. I got a second kitten who is unhealthy too. I will be a lot more careful before I adopt an animal again. It is heart breaking to watch a pet die.
      Thank you for sharing your stories and experience.

As you mentioned this should be left to the professionals.

All the best