What Can I Expect From a Spay Procedure?

My puppy is almost ready to be spayed, and I don't know what to expect. I don't know ANYTHING that will happen before and after.Will she be able to sleep in the bed with me, or does she sleep in her bed? I'd be afraid to put her in her bed, she has a…

My puppy is almost ready to be spayed, and I don't know what to expect. I don't know ANYTHING that will happen before and after.Will she be able to sleep in the bed with me, or does she sleep in her bed? I'd be afraid to put her in her bed, she has a…...
    General Dog Discussions : What Can I Expect From a Spay Procedure?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What Can I Expect From a Spay Procedure?

What Can I Expect From a Spay Procedure? General Dog Discussions
      My puppy is almost ready to be spayed, and I don't know what to expect. I don't know ANYTHING that will happen before and after.Will she be able to sleep in the bed with me, or does she sleep in her bed? I'd be afraid to put her in her bed, she has a bunch of wool blankets in there. Will they pull at her stitches?

What Can I Expect From a Spay Procedure? General Dog Discussions
    • You will bring your puppy to the vet, the will anesthetize her (give her medicine to put her into a deep deep sleep). The will shave her belly, cut open her lower belly, remove her uterus and ovaries and then sew her back up. She may need to stay overnight 1 night, maybe not. She may be a little groggy when you go to pick her up from the vet. You will have to prevent her from running to hard or jumpping until the stitches are ready to come out (the vet will tell you when) You will make an appointment to have the stitches taken out by the vet, the vet will remove them and its all done!

• your vet will explain what they do. but from I understand they basically get a "hysterectomy". As for after wards my one dog was very laid back for a week and would not move. We got worried but the vet assured us she was fine and she was. My new pup just got spayed 2 days ago and you would never know it. She's running all over the place. I think it just depends, all dogs are different.plus both are dogs sutchers dislove on them own we didn't need to take her back.

• The main thing is that this is a procedure that vets do everyday and it is fairly safe. All my females have been playing and eating the same night. Your pups tummy will be a little sore and you will be given pain meds to help her. Other than that just be prepared to give her lots of loves.

• Well before the surgery she'll have to be off food for 8-12 hours, the vet will tell you. You'll drop her off at the clinic and generally pick her up around 4-6 hours later depending on the schedule. The procedure is fairly brief but they will likely hold on to her to make sure she comes out of anaesthesia just fine. She'll be pretty groggy when you pick her up and will remain that way for the rest of the day, pretty much just wanting to lay around. She may whine some but that'll be from the disorientation of anaesthesia. The next morning she'll feel much better but might still be a bit sore and you'll have to keep her contained so she doesn't over do it. She'll be chomping at the bit to run and play but you have to be careful so she doesn't injure herself.It's quite safe and an extremely routine procedure your dog has likely done too many times to count. It's a little stressful worrying about the dog but the worrisome part will be over soon and you'll have your hands full trying to keep her quiet until she's all healed up and she feel fine and wants to do all her normal running and jumping.

• well it all depends. if it is a very high-tech clinic they could insert a scope and your pup will be good as new in an hour. but if its pretty techy but not a new clinic then they will do it the old fashion way. which is where they take out their uterus and then stich them up. your dog will be fine. which ever way the procedure is done your dog wont go into heat any more and will be fine in a day tops.and if the vet does it right then the stiches will not come out with the wool blankets.